We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis, groceries, and logistics.

Vancouver, Canada
10 posts
Save Topic
Taxis, groceries, and logistics.

Having lurked around here and zihuaRob's site for the past month , I want to thank you all for the wealth of information you guys put up for us to reference...it is invaluable!

So I think I have a bit of an understanding on the Airport/taxi transportation situation, but am just trying to work out the logistics of our arrival.

Me, my wife and our 1.5 y/o are arriving on Mar. 8th and are staying in a villa in Porto Ixtapa. As I understand, this is Zone 2, so the taxi direct from the airport would be $450pesos...

We will need to do a big grocery shop ASAP when we get there (wayy more complicated traveling with a kiddo these days).

Just wondering if it will be cheaper or easier or make more sense for us to take our initial taxi to the Commercial Mexicana, and then a different cab from there to our villa.

Or, is there enough grocery options for us in Ixtapa, to just go get set up at the villa first and then head out to get provisions (we hit the ground around 3pm local time).?

Any advice would be mucho appriciated-o

Arne

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,950 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis, groceries, and logistics.

Go to your villa...check in, get settled in, relax...go out to eat the first nite and breakfast...then take a cab to either Bodega or Comercial Mexicana...CM would be my choice. While relaxing in the villa, write a list...things get exciting in the store...and you want to have a list to work off...so much easier.

There are ATM's at CM...so you can get some pesos, too...cabs are lined up waiting to take you back to the villa.

REMEMBER to tip the little kids who bag up your groceries...they are working for free to make money for school and their uniforms...Be kind to them...they are so precious...

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis, groceries, and logistics.

Judy- FYI The Commercial is no more. It is now La Comar

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis, groceries, and logistics.

I don't know where your villa is located but if you go to the commercial area of Ixtapa to eat the first night you arrive, you can get a few basics for breakfast at the grocery story there called Scruples. Fruit, yogurt, snacks, cereal, bottled water. . . you can get everything you need for 24 hours.

Behind the store is good restaurant called Bigotes de Zapata. Eat there, get some groceries and you'll all set. (That's what we'll be doing the night of March 11).

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis, groceries, and logistics.

Dito what obsession said. You'll find most of what you need right there at Srupples while avoiding another taxi trip. The next day you can hop on the bus and for 9 pesos a piece, take it to Zihua where you can get off right in front of Bodega.

Eagle River
Level Contributor
13 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxis, groceries, and logistics.

The official name is Comercial Mexicana. Lots of my Mexican friends call it La Comer. My American friends for some reason say CM.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxis, groceries, and logistics.

Alaska Gal Guess you have not seen the new sign,No More CM.

Eagle River
Level Contributor
13 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxis, groceries, and logistics.

You are 100% correct. There is a huge sign outside saying La Comer. Now once again. The name of the store is Comercial Mexicana and the nickname/advertising name of Comercial Mexicana is La Comer. You California boys are not as sharp as you are make out to be sometimes.

Vancouver, Canada
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxis, groceries, and logistics.

Thank you guys so much for your info and advice! We are getting soo excited. No strangers to Mexico, but 1st time to Ixtapa/Zihua, and we're looking forward to some great sun and R&R....or as much as you can have with a 1.5y/o :)

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxis, groceries, and logistics.

For such a sharp gal you seem to have a bit of a brain freeze, Probably those cold Alaska nights.

Yeah right. It's not the name but they decided to put it up on their sign just to confuse the customers.

FYI Target now owns the place. That's why all the US Import cheeses, meats etc they now have.

You need to get up to date Amiga.

Chanhassen...
Level Contributor
88 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxis, groceries, and logistics.

I can also confirm that Scruples may get you what you need. We end up buying groceries there for our two weeks every year.

They have produce but only packaged meats.

They're open quite late - we eat a later dinner and swing by after and they've always been open.

They've always given us a good exchange rate on US dollars, but I'm sure the prices are much higher than in zihua.

Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa