We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Report 3/1 to 3/8 @ Las Brisas

Minnesota
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Report 3/1 to 3/8 @ Las Brisas

Wheels down here in the Twin Cities last evening around eight, and welcomed home to that 23 degree refreshment. Pah!

We had a wonderful stay at the Las Brisas Ixtapa.

No rain. Few clouds. Weather was just plain Perfect. Did see the Sun Spot activity though the binoculars at sunset the evening of 3/6.

Food at all of the venues was Exceptional while a bit pricy for the area. The first night in I had what I believe to be one of the very best Ribeye steaks that I have ever had in the area at the El Mexicana restaurant on property. Well worth the price of admission!

The staff is amazing, as it is at most of the Ixtapa hotels. We had upgraded to a Junior Suite and were on the 22nd floor (top of the hotel) where the views are amazing, Leslie and I had stayed here previously in 2006, and I had forgotten how nice the long recessed balconies are for coffee and binocular gazing in the mornings! What a treat!

I can't list all of the wildlife that we saw just from the balcony in the mornings, but a few would include: Whales, Porpoise, Needle fish in the surf, a Monster school of Green Jacks that came in and you could not see through the waves for all of the fish in them, White Egrets, hundreds of Pelicans, Buzzards, Bats, Geckos (no they won't try to sell you car insurance). large Drum fish cruising the surf line, and more and more and more!

Las Brisas is in Zona 3 so the Taxi fares are slightly elevated form the strip hotels. 80p to Zihua (Centro). 65p to Ixtapa shopping district. 230p back to the airport.

I only fished one day this trip. One small Dorado, and unfortunately MANY long lines/liners spotted this trip. Five miles worth at the 20 to 25 mile mark. They can not convince me that they were "Snapper" fishing out there. Sad that the Mexican fisheries refuse to enforce they're own laws on this. It will eventually kill the Sport Fishing in the area, along with the Sport Fishing dollar.

All in all another wonderful trip to Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo. Met many new friends, and visited with many old ones.

Keith

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Report 3/1 to 3/8 @ Las Brisas

Great report!! So much to see, do and enjoy in this amazing place - you're lucky to have experienced it so many times. Thanks for sharing!

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Report 3/1 to 3/8 @ Las Brisas

Nice report , Keith . I watched your Dorado exporting video on a thread about long liners a while back . I thought the authorities had made some arrests of long liners lately in Zih or was that just for show ?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Report 3/1 to 3/8 @ Las Brisas

Keith - glad you had a good time!! Ted&Julie

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,231 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Report 3/1 to 3/8 @ Las Brisas

great report....

boo on the temps when you get back to reality tho...I can relate.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Report 3/1 to 3/8 @ Las Brisas

juanrojo,

Yeah they did pop a couple of guys a month or two back. It is an unfortunate Brother to Cousin to Relatives situation in the area.

I am speculating that when arrests do occur it is more in the line of competition than conservation.

But that's just me spouting off, and I'm more than a bit jaded.

Keith

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
481 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Report 3/1 to 3/8 @ Las Brisas

Great report Keith, It is good that you did not patronize the Dorado Pacifico after they went AI. Thank you for that.

Mike

7. Re: Report 3/1 to 3/8 @ Las Brisas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 11:16
Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa