We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concerns about my trip this March to the area - overcrowded?

Iowa
Level Contributor
3,456 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Concerns about my trip this March to the area - overcrowded?

So we're spending 10 night in the area in Mid March. i currently have 4 nights reserved at Brisas Del Mar in Zih in a family suite (i think this place will be perfect for us - kids 6 and 9). For the last 6 nights I have a family suite reserved at Sunscape Dorado in Ixtapa. I wanted Club med but couldn't justify the cost. Anyway, I'm concerned about day passes to the resort. Our last weekend is there is the 22-24th which is the weekend prior to Easter. I just don't want to be crowded and the service to lack due to an influx of people that the staff and resort can't handle (latest review I see speaks to my fears). So, I have started looking for alternatives like the Majahua Palms and some other places in Troncones. Are there other resorts I should be looking at that will be quieter, decent pools, and less crowded that aren't on my radar? I've looked at the other AIs in Ixtapa like Intercontinental, Emporio, Barcelo, Krystal - do they do daypasses and get overcrowded?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
6,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Concerns about my trip this March to the area - overcrowded?

All of the hotels on the main beach in Ixtapa do Day Passes.

Keith

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Concerns about my trip this March to the area - overcrowded?

Why Switch? Stay at the Brisas del Mar the whole trip

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Concerns about my trip this March to the area - overcrowded?

February is the peak and travel starts to drop off somewhat in March with the exception of Easter, but it sounds like you will be gone when the nationals start to arrive. I would keep your plans as is.

Edited: 16 November 2012, 18:18
Iowa
Level Contributor
3,456 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Concerns about my trip this March to the area - overcrowded?

I did think about staying at Brisas Del Mar, but now they are booked later in the week. Looks like I will stick with the plan, hopefully, being the weekend before Easter weekend will keep the crowds down as everyone waits for the actual easter weekend to head to the resorts!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Concerns about my trip this March to the area - overcrowded?

Samana Santa begins with Palm Sunday- that is the week before Easter. However, it is busier around the Easter weekend.

Iowa
Level Contributor
3,456 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Concerns about my trip this March to the area - overcrowded?

We are headed home that Sunday (Mar. 24th) so hopefully we'll miss the big crowds.

Iowa
Level Contributor
3,456 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Concerns about my trip this March to the area - overcrowded?

Just saw it's a national holiday on Thursday the 21st, so I definitely want to switch from the sunscape now for something more quiet. Sounds like that weekend was extremely busy last year. Any suggestions? Maybe even a private rental?

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Concerns about my trip this March to the area - overcrowded?

Check your private messages.

winnipeg
Level Contributor
203 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Concerns about my trip this March to the area - overcrowded?

I understand C Y 's point . however we ve never felt crowded during any holiday time in mexico and most of our fond memories are mixing with the locals and nationals . staying at a smaller hotel or condo will reduce the feel of being crowded VS staying at larger chain type . that being said we don t aviod the U S say just because its fourth of july

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Concerns about my trip this March to the area - overcrowded?

I agree with you picaaso. We have never felt crowded on the beach here in La Ropa. Traffic gets a bit congested in centro- we just don't try to do anything in a hurry. No problems.

Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa
Recent Conversations