We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US or Cdn Cash?

Regina
Level Contributor
184 posts
Save Topic
US or Cdn Cash?

I plan on taking peso's with me on my upcoming Ixtapa trip, but would also like to take some extra cash (US or Cdn) incase we run out of pesos. Question..... is Canadian cash widely accepted, or should I by some US cash instead? hova

Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US or Cdn Cash?

Canadian cash is accepted but you are best to use an Bank affiliated ATM to get cash as needed.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US or Cdn Cash?

Our hotel exchanged some Canadian $$ when we were running out of tipping pesos with no hassle (just a passport needed). We even got a better rate than our bank here in Calgary (due to the actual fee for doing an exchange), so there is that!

At the hotel I think the CDN rate was 12.74p to 1cdn and bit lower for USD at 12.54p to 1usd when we stayed in December.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
839 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US or Cdn Cash?

Hello Hova_7,

This is what we do. We take enough pesos with us to get us through the first couple of days. We then either exchange our Cdn. Dollars for Mxn. Pesos at the bank or use the local ATM. Look for a Scotia bank as it is your best bet. We have also used the local cambios to exchange Cdn. for Mxn.

The point I'm trying to make is it's best to use the local currency whenever possible. The local merchants will appreciate it as will the resort staff.

Use Loonies in Canada, Greenbacks in the USA and Pesos in Mexico. Pretty simple really. This is just my humble opinion.

Regina
Level Contributor
184 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: US or Cdn Cash?

I likely won't use ATM's or exchange at banks. Generally, what I would like to know if resturants or vendors will take Canadian Cash (if I am out of peso's). hova

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US or Cdn Cash?

Use US or Canadian cash ONLY if you wish to pay 30% more for virtually everything. Most cafes & stores will only give you 10 to 1. Bank ATM rate Friday was 12.65 to 1.

Most ATMS are now the put in pull out time so no danger of eating your cars. I have been using them since 1997 here in Mexico with no problems what so ever.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,645 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US or Cdn Cash?

A Canadian loses twice using USD. If you run out of pesos use your CAD but expect to get a poor exchange rate as Peddler advised. I have had no issues with ATM's or credit cards, even in the old days.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,539 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US or Cdn Cash?

If you want to bring extra cash along in case you run out of pesos, then just bring Canadian cash to exchange at a cambio or hotel front desk- no need to bring USD.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
937 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: US or Cdn Cash?

I agree with others posters regarding the American cash - you'll simply lose twice on your exchange. We take a few pesos saved from our last trip, then use bank machines whenever we need more. The first time we went to Mexico we took Canadian cash to exchange and I was super worried about losing it! We were gone for 2 weeks so it was a lot of money. You really don't want to worry about that. If you don't own an ATM card and haven't time to get one, then I'd say take your Canadian cash and exchange it at your hotel desk as needed. Honestly, though, the ATM machines are the very best bet!

Regina
Level Contributor
184 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: US or Cdn Cash?

Thanks for your help. I agree, no point in paying exchange twice, so if I run out of pesos, I will either grab some more from the ATM ir exchange my Cdn at the hotels front desk. hova.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: US or Cdn Cash?

Your best exchange rate is always at an ATM. I can't speak for Ixtapa, but in Zihua most vendors, restaurants, etc. do not accept Cdn. cash.

Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa