We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patzcuaro

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
937 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Patzcuaro

Anybody ever done a day trip here from Ixtapa? It seems like a long way to go for a day...looks like a place I would love to check out, but would love to hear from someone who's been and whether or not they think it worth the travel. And-how did you get there?

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Patzcuaro

I personally would not go without spending 2 nights. I actually usually stay 3. Been about 6 times loving it each.

It's right at 5 hours via bus each way.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Patzcuaro

Even with a private driver it will take at least 3 hours each way (more by bus). I really don't think it's worth it.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
937 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Patzcuaro

Thanks guys, I think it's best left for a future trip where we can book a stay for a few nights!

Ixtapa, Mexico
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Patzcuaro

Definitely worth the 3 1/2 drive from the tropics, through the desert and then on to the agricultural zones and high mountainous terrain of Patzcuaro. The lakes with mountain top islands emerging are beautiful and the vista is scenic.

Patzcuaro, the old colonial capital of the state of Michoacan, has been preserved with it's stately Spanish colonial architecture. Many smaller towns, such as Santa Clara del Cobre, known for all things made of copper, are a mere 30 min. drive from Patzcuaro. To truly enjoy all that you can on limited time, I would suggest staying for two nights and leaving mid-day on the third to arrive back in Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo by evening. I hope that you enjoy your visit!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,889 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Patzcuaro

We frequently go just for the day- leave Zihua at 7am, return by 8pm. However, we know exactly what we want there and where to get it. If you are going for the 1st time, it is well worth giving it 2 days. Visit the Casa de Once Patios (House of 11 Patios) and see craftspeople working on their various crafts, just stroll a few streets and the square, visit nearby Tzintzuntzan and Quiroga- stroll the streets to see what there is and have carnitas in the square of Quiroga. If you are driving, stop in Uruapan on the way back for a walk through the park and enjoy all the cascadas (waterfalls). Agree- the scenery is great. The lake surrounded by mountains is one of my all time favourite vistas...so tranquil.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Patzcuaro

It is do-able in a day, just don't expect an indepth visit. Use a guide, you'll get a nice overview . The first time we went up from Zihua was 1 long day- pick up at 5 am, Santa Clara de Cobre, Morelia and Patzcuaro , back in Zihua just before midnight. It gave us enough ofthe flavor of the area that we went for 5 days the next year. Flew into Morelia and then bused down to Zihua.

Ps. bring some thing warm to wear- pants and a fleece .

Edited: 26 January 2013, 23:50
Woodside
Level Contributor
629 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Patzcuaro

Hire a driver. Spend just one night..and do bring warmer clothes. There are fabulous places to stay in Patzcuaro. Visit my friend Rick Davis' shop, El Manantial and just down the street Hilda's store, Galeria del Arcangel for fabulous stuff. They are located across from the Basilica.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Patzcuaro

Highly recommend Jr Sanchez at zihuacab@yahoo.com & cell phone 044-755-100-4793 for all excursions.

JR grew up in The San Francisco Bay area before returning to his native Zihua with his family starting a small cab company, They have 2 cabs plus a large well condition passenger van for trips. JR has made a number of trips to Patzcuaro & is fluent in both English & Spanish.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
937 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Patzcuaro

Thank-you for the name!

10. Re: Patzcuaro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2014, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa