We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo or Krystal

edmonton
Level Contributor
274 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelo or Krystal

We have the opportunity to visit Ixtapa for the first time. Which resort would be better for two adults (45 ish) to visit. We like to go out of a resort alot and explore.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,985 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelo or Krystal

Barcelo for All Inclusive

Krystal for European Plan

Wisconsin Rapids...
Level Contributor
700 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelo or Krystal

We are staying at Krystal this Friday and the following week, if you can hold off, I will give you an honest review. We also like to venture off the resort!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelo or Krystal

WE stayed at the Krystal last year and had a great time. We did not do the all-inclusive plan. You can charge breakfast or lunch and drinks to your room and then go out at night to all the wonderful restaurants in Ixtapa and Zihua. The resort during the day had fun pool activities and great service but was very quiet at night. But it worked great for us and we would return. Hopefully Dawny likes it too.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelo or Krystal

Barcelo is a very nice resort, The pool and beach are awesome. The food is as good as expected at an all inclusive. This hotel can deliver the quintessential all inclusive experience- lay in the sun, get thirsty- dive in the pool, surface at the pool bar- enjoy your beverage- swim back- lay in the sun- repeat!

Edited: 13 February 2013, 21:21
edmonton
Level Contributor
274 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelo or Krystal

Sounds like either one will work. I would love to hear back from you dawny! Great deals in April so I would like to book soon. Thanks everyone.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelo or Krystal

I don't think there are too many differences overall . . . no swim up bar at Krystal, which is a bummer . . . but same great weather, great people, great beach, great location. The real decision you need to make is AI vs non-AI since you have that option at the Krystal. Do you want all your meals at the hotel or do you want to venture out to experience the local charm and cuisine, especially in Zihua. (Going across the street from the Barcelo to Frank's for pizza does not count as "local charm.")

Edited: 14 February 2013, 19:56
Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelo or Krystal

Krystal is getting a little long in the tooth but with the Eurpoean plan as Labrat mentioned, still a good choice. Get out and about and see Zihua plus enjoy Ixtapa before it is completely strangled from the "All Reclusive" hotels.

Right now it is just about on "life support".

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
137 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barcelo or Krystal

We stayed at the Barceló in January of this year. While it was not my favorite resort, I can tell you that we met a couple who stayed at the Krystal the last time they were there and said that the Barceló was by far the better hotel. If you are looking on the strip in Ixtapa, the Barceló is probably as good as any. I would highly recommend exploring Zihuatanejo though, it is there you will see the charm and character of a small Mexican town. Ixtapa is nice, but not quite as charming. I hope you have a great time no matter where you stay.

Wisconsin Rapids...
Level Contributor
700 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barcelo or Krystal

we just stayed at Krystal last week and I was not impressed. We met numerous people that stayed at the Barcelo and they loved it. No activities at Krystal, no volleyball majority of days, no swim up bar, we ended up switching rooms 3 times in the 10 days we were there. We discussed with other guests at Krystal and they indicated that it is going downhill and the food was not good at all. We met people that paid the A/I rate and went out to eat every night. Now that is upsetting..... Definitely go with Barcelo.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,364 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barcelo or Krystal

If it is the same cost the Barcelo!! If you can save $300-$400 for the week the Krystal would be fine and you would have $400 to explore Ixtapa and ZIH. As others have said the resort is going down hill and fast.

Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa
Recent Conversations