We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is Barcelo only rate #27 out of 29 hotels?

Oroville Calif.
Level Contributor
47 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Why is Barcelo only rate #27 out of 29 hotels?

We have paid reservations for the end of November this year. We have stayed at the Barcelo twice in the past. Have been staying most recently at Sunscape but tired of the "Towel Games".

The Barcelo has a much larger pool with plenty of lounges and lots of elbow room. My question is "How can it be rated #27 out of 29 on tripadvisor ratings? Doesn't seem possible to me! Any one out there have any ideas?

sincerely Bill & Barbara

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why is Barcelo only rate #27 out of 29 hotels?

I wouldn't say the ratings in Zihua nor Ixtapa are all that accurate as it's hard to compare apples to apples etc..when there are so many non A/I's and just a few A/I's in the area.

I would base my feelings off the "actual" reviews posted by individuals and make sure your likes and dislikes are in the same category...and if so you will be fine. I would not worry about a "rank"

good luck! have fun.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
460 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why is Barcelo only rate #27 out of 29 hotels?

It may be 27 out of 29 on the list for Ixtapa but it is only 76 out 81 of the hotels on the Zihuatanejo list, which includes the hotels in both Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo. It would seem that the best answer to your question would to be to read the individual reviews. And it seems odd to me that many of the reviews are from people who have only made one or two hotel reviews on Tripadvisor.

For one thing the food doesn't seem to be very good........Looks like you get what you pay for.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,901 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why is Barcelo only rate #27 out of 29 hotels?

If you like it?

Damn the TA "reviews" and full speed ahead!!!

Keith

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why is Barcelo only rate #27 out of 29 hotels?

I agree with MaryAnn & Keith. If it works for you then the heck with someone else's rating. Not sure how that was weighted anyway. If it was based on architectural style, when than that explains it. Since you've stayed there as have I with satisfaction, we might question the credibility of who ever it was that came up with the rating.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,901 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why is Barcelo only rate #27 out of 29 hotels?

The TA ratings are based on the score that the Reviewers give them.

Since complainants often review properties more that those that are satisfied, unless they are REALLY pleased, one must take reviews of this sort with a grain of salt IMO.

Keith

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why is Barcelo only rate #27 out of 29 hotels?

Ya Keith, you're right on. And as we know, it is human nature that people will take the time to complain (whether justified or not) more often than they will take the time to issue a compliment. So one person who doesn't get the upgrade to a beach front room, goes on TA a gives the hotel a bad review. Or the gal who discovers at 11:00 in the morning that management removed her stuff from her lounge chair, after she put it there at just 5 hours earlier, decides to write a bad revue.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,901 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why is Barcelo only rate #27 out of 29 hotels?

Roger That!

Keith

Airdrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why is Barcelo only rate #27 out of 29 hotels?

People are a lot like cattle. They follow.

The Barcelo should not be rated lower than Presidente. Stayed only one night due to af light delay after being at Presidente for two weeks. Wish it was the other way around.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
261 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why is Barcelo only rate #27 out of 29 hotels?

Yeah, I get confused by how TA ranks properties sometimes - think about the 'Loma del Mar Thalasso Spa & Resort' being at #4 in Ixtapa with only 4 reviews since December 2011 and they are 2/5, 5/5, 1/5 & 2/5. Clearly they should be listed as the 4th best hotel in Ixtapa on the largest travel website in the world...

I wouldn't think the Barcelo would be actually #27 out of the list of 29 that TA provides. I usually think that unless a hotel is head and shoulders above the rest, most hotels would flex at least 4 or 5 spots each day if there was any sort of "real time" ranking situation! Of course travellers that are in the right frame of mind tend to end up staying at nicer hotels overall...I wonder why that is?? ;-)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
460 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why is Barcelo only rate #27 out of 29 hotels?

You would think that after over 600 reviews that it would average out.

For the most part I have found the hotel and restaurant reviews to be very accurate. I have made many myself and try my best to be honest and truthful.

Edited: 14 July 2013, 02:59
Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa