We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip

Ponderay, Idaho...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
First Trip

My wife and I have just booked flights, and have a travel agent friend helping us pick a place to stay from oct 29th to Nov 7.

Neither of us have done much fishing especially in recent years. Are the captains used to "rookies"? I have been reading how most captains practice catch and release. So for my rookie question, why release? The little fishing I have done, if the fish was edible we kept and ate. Or is it just the sail fish and roosters they release? Is it because they aren't good eating or is it because it is to expensive or impossible to ship the fish back to the states?

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip

I'll bet Keith and many other can help you with the fishing info.

Welcome to the forum...wondering if you got in on the "good' Delta rates this week...LOL!!

Happy researching we loved this general area.

Keep in mind you can have your fish cooked for you at your hotel most times for a small fee. We stayed at the Hotel Irma and brought back a fish for the Chef to prepare and they charged right around $7.00 or $8.00 per person for the fish to be prepared and it included....beans, rice, garlic butter, bread, and veggies to go with the fish. Ceviche was a little extra per person but ohhh so worth it.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip

Hi Kent!

When we talk catch and release, we are talking about Bill fish and Roosterfish.

Sport-fishing species.

While I prefer to practice C&R whenever possible, I have also kept fish that were unlikely to survive release.

I would rather feed people than sharks. I am quite sure that lots of die hard C&R disagree.

That said, it's your dollar, and your decision. I will be the last guy getting on someone for keeping a fish that it is legal to keep.

As for Rookies, you bet!! We all start out as Rookies!

Hell! I am still one of the biggest Rookies around!!

You can see the weekly report here:

http://fishreportsixtapa.blogspot.com/

If you would like fishing information on the area pop me a PM.

I can return it there, or email it to you in Word format. You choice.

Have a Great Trip, and I hope the fishing is GREAT for you!!

Keith

P.S.yeah, that shipping the fish back to the states doesn't happen from there much.

Edited: 13 September 2013, 17:49
Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip

PP.SS. if you are looking for a mount. Reproductions are the way to go. Too many horror stories of people getting ripped off on sailfish mounts to count!!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,682 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip

Yes, practice catch and release for sportfish. As Keith said, and I agree, unless the fish will not survive, you should release.

We have found, however, that you have to make this absolutely clear to some of the captains- or they will kill them, as they mean money at market to them- so tell them upfront that is what you expect.

Just on your question about bringing it back home with you- we often keep a couple mahi mahi fillets and bring them home...the hotel will freeze them for you and you can bring or buy a cooler to bring it back. Never had any trouble at all bringing fish home to Canada, anyway.

Ponderay, Idaho...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Trip

Thanks for everyone's replies.

While I would love to catch a big sail fish or Rooster, I would be a little disappointed at the end of the day if I got back to the shore with nothing for dinner. So are some charters more geared towards sportsman fishing than others, or do they all figure out where to fish by what you are wanting?

What makes a fish a sportsman fish, is it limited quantity, or not great eating or, and are other fish besides sail fish and rooster sportsman fish?

I am curious why more people don't send fish back to the states. We know people that go to aAlaska and send back their catch.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,410 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Trip

Kent , much of the catch and release that is advocated and done is by species , voluntarily , to help preserve stocks of species under fishing pressures . There is also the general on shore and off shore species breakdown . It's all a personal choice but Rissak brings up a good point about captains killing the catch , possibly against your wishes , unless you state your preference . You might feel the captains income and welfare were more important than the fish's welfare and that is a valid point also depending on the fish species and quantities caught .

Keep asking questions here .

I don't fish and so I can't elaborate more on species but even as a non fisherman I really enjoy Ed Kunze's fishing reports and articles that Labrat points you to . Great reading for all .

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,682 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Trip

I know lots of people who bring home fish from Mexico trips, along with ourselves...of course, my husband is a fisherman and lots of his friends are, too. Sometimes it might just be not wanting to deal with the hassle, plus you can't really bring a lot back, or they might seize some. I guess maybe to most people it is just not worth the PITA factor when on vacation.

I don't know about eating roosters- are they any good? We usually only keep mahi mahi or tuna. (you shouldn't have a problem catching something doing inshore fishing that you can take to a restaurant and get them to cook up for you!)

You typically wil choose to go either inshore or deep sea fishing. In Zihua, you have to sometimes go out a long way to get to the 'blue' water where the fish are, for deep sea fishing.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Trip

Kent.

Your fish, your choice.

As far as sending fish back, I am sure that you could do it, but personally I consider it a pain in the butt.

1.) I don't like eating frozen fish.

2.) Less than eating frozen fish, do I like dealing with food products, and U.S. Customs.

So, I eat my fill of fish while I am there, and stick to fresh water fish that I can catch.......fresh.......when I am not.

One of my favorite fish to eat in the area is the Sierra mackerell. I don't think that it would freeze well anyway, but they sure are good fresh. Another that I like is the Rainbow Runner. Kind of Trouty in texture and flavor.

Of course if I get a nice school size Yellowfin Tuna, I am digging into that while I am still on the boat!!

I always have a handful of Limes and Chiles with me on the boat that I buy at the little store at the head of the pier before departure. Dinner Bell!!!

Keith

Ixtapa, Mexico
Level Contributor
732 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Trip

Rissak, you bring fish home to Canada... Do you tell the custom agent? I always get asked about food and was caught with an apple once. I always hide my vanilla. I would like to bring fish with me if I can. Thanks.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
453 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Trip

Very good replies above but I do hope that Ed Kunze sees this and adds his comments about releasing billfish (sailfish or marlin) and shame on anyone, sportsmen or ignorant tourist, who do not release billfish.

Hopefully you may catch a Dorado aka Mahi Mahi and have a few fillets cooked at your hotel or at a restaurant.

Also you may want to ask about keeping billfish on ZRob's site and see what kind of replies you get.