We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ixtapa an Option for Dec 2013

Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ixtapa an Option for Dec 2013

We have never been to Ixtapa although to other places in Mexico.. Looking for a change.. One thing I am concerned about is being hassled by timeshare when out and about in Ixtapa.. We will never go back to Mazatlan because of this... We go on vacation to relax and find we get very tense when being followed or harassed by TS... Airport is ok..Know how to deal with it there.. Also last Dec. we stayed at Tesoro Manzanillo..Although a 3 star? whatever stars mean LOL... we found our experience there great... prefer smaller more intimate resorts.. Anyone know if Ixtapa Tesoro is an ok place to stay at... view.. balconies that one can actually sit on ..quiet... food etc.. any opinions on area and resorts would be appreciated.. Do know Zihuatanejo will be a great place to explore so not worried about that area.. Thank You ... Sylvia

Gurnee, Illinois
Level Contributor
420 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ixtapa an Option for Dec 2013

We've been going for over 10 years and have never had to say more than "No Thanks" to get them to leave us alone. They are much less aggressive than the timeshare salespeople in Las Vegas.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ixtapa an Option for Dec 2013

TS in some of the hotels. But nothing like Mazatlan or other places.

The typical Air Port wade though, but the airport is very small, and it is like fifteen steps and you are out the door.

If you are looking for a large balcony, and no beach vendors, then give Las Brisas a thought. The Tesoro in Ixtapa is managed more for TS and Condo owners than for hotel guests. It's still an option, but you get what you pay for.

Keith

WISCONSIN..U.S.A
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ixtapa an Option for Dec 2013

Hi..stayed at the Tesoro twice..plain rooms.. spotless.. mini-bar,safe in room but NO coffee pot..but the desk did deliver one on request Small balcony 2 chairs..food is average WORST BAR in Ixtapa..When we stay there we use it as a bread & breakfest the cost is so much cheaper than others..We like to go out to Ziho for dinner and across the street in Ixtapa 6 out of the 7 nights we are there..do-not look at stars..start with budget..then what you want in room..AI or NOT.. balcony or not..what you want to do while there.. sightsee..fish etc..if you are the type of people that hang around the resort more than sightsee look for a different hotel..LOL...

canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ixtapa an Option for Dec 2013

MMouseAlumni ..going to one place over 10 times speaks for itself.. TU

Keith TS in the resort I am not worried about.. They catch on fast when we are not interested and I can do the nose in the air thingy quite well... I was concerned about when off the resort when walking down the streets or how hounded one gets when in bars and restaurants..

Las Brisas does look nice but would not work for us.. The stairs would get me.(Osteo and brain tumor) although we walk loads and I can dance and swim with buddy hubby.. ..We can afford to pay more but I love the game of searching for great deals... Thanks for info ...EKBHAPPY .. ..All we would need is 2 chairs to sit on ..have seen those stand on balconies.. :) enjoy morning coffee and evening nightcap on balcony...(would ask for pot ..coffee )

Worst Bar in Ixtapa ?? Do like AI and dine in lots at the resort... Enjoy making new friends and having our table grow from 2 to ????

We go off the resort each day..usually morning till early afternoon..We do not do tours just wing it on our own... Enjoy sightseeing and exploring the area...little shopping... we stop for cevesas when we need a cool down... Also early eve. we sometimes go off the resort if there is a neat place where we get good music and wobbly pops ..Sounds like there is something in walking distance to resorts. in Ixtapa...we missed that in Manzanillo last yr.. Hottest part of the day we stay on resort.. pool beach time ..Bill plays water sports..volleyball and soccer..

I love the Pacific side of Mexico...Sunsets.. mountain.. and weather... Ixtapa Zihuatanejo looks like an area we have never been to that we would enjoy ....

Not sure if I can post this video but it does show what we do enjoy on our vacations... again Thanks for helping me... will keep reading this forum...

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-071d-2524-e7fc

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
2,808 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ixtapa an Option for Dec 2013

Nice pix...from the pix...I say COME on downnnn...you will fit right in!!

Happy planning.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ixtapa an Option for Dec 2013

catnhat,

Since you enjoy AI, and short walks, check out the Sunscape Dorado, and look at the Family Suites for room category. (my avatar was taken from one) Best view on the main beach in my opinion.

The shopping district of Ixtapa is directly across the street. Very short walk, with a slight incline back up the driveway to the hotel on the way back. (I just had an Aorto Bi-Fem two years ago, so I know the walking and steps suck routine)They have zipp for stairs except about ten down to the beach from the pool area, and the few that are up into the hotel from the pool area are wide and short. They can also be avoided by a ramp that is next to them. The hotels only two drawbacks for me are the AI and the no smoking policy. We stayed there for eight years before they switched over to AM Resorts and went "Americanized".

Keith

Edited: 17 September 2013, 22:32
Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ixtapa an Option for Dec 2013

catnhat, sounds like you are custom made for the Ixtapa/Zihua area. You guys will love the area.

WISCONSIN..U.S.A
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ixtapa an Option for Dec 2013

Hi again.... I agree with Keith on the rooms.. the tesoro is mostly a peak at view from the side of hotel to see ocean..the rooms "family suit" at the Sunscape is perfect...Love the food many choices there.. nice pool good bars..like my Whitewine with dinner and a Bailys after..it is across the street from the commerical are of Ixtapa..about 9/9:30 pm I walk across the street for my ice cream and sit and people watch..I will be 72 this Feb and will be traveling solo and have NOT ever had a problem in Ziho or Ixtapa very safe..why I said the Tesoro had a bad bar is they have all this pre-mix for snowcone drinks wine is so sour you can't drink it and booze is off the wall wierd stuff..but I will stay there if the price is right..spotless and the help are wonderful I guess it all comes down to what is most important to you....Happy Travels..

canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ixtapa an Option for Dec 2013

Thanks MARYANN H ..Love the planning part of a trip...

Labrat Great avatar... Nothing like watching the BIG sun ball drop into the Ocean

Will check out Sunscape Dorado .. Hope you feel great after your Aorto Bi-Fem

I am so lucky..( only have partial seizures that I manage and get a warning before one comes) with my tumor that I have had for ages..Grade 2 and holding so far.. just a few meds I work with so I CAN enjoy my wine and beer...

ted61 I have an artificial hip that is perfect...one day I am sure a knee..In years to come maybe need a new head but best of all I am custom made for the Ixtapa/Zihua area. Yea. :)

EKBHAPPY ...I am happy :0 Best to you... We stayed in Maz at a peak at view from the side of hotel to see the ocean.. Basically what I got was peaks into the room next door and probably on other side of us they got peaks into my room...yikes..

You guys are great ..Thanks for helping me ...

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,438 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ixtapa an Option for Dec 2013

Sylvia, as you know I also stayed at the Tesoro Manzanillo and enjoyed it there.

The age of that hotel is comparable to the age and star level of most of the hotels in Ixtapa.

The biggest difference you would notice if you are a beach person is you might miss that wonderful cove beach La Audencia with that great snorkeling that the Tesoro Manzanillo is on.....the hotels in Ixtapa are on a beach called Playa Palmar that is open ocean and can be quite rough at times...however it is better for long beach walks, if not nearly as good for swimming.

And since the sand is medium golden in Ixtapa and not grey/brown with those black volcanic streaks as in ZLO, it is not nearly as hot on bare feet.

Ixtapa would be comparable to staying in a hotel on Playa Santiago in Manzanillo, but smaller scale.

Weather is about the same in both areas. Manzanillo is more lush/fertile in the surrounding hills and areas. Manzanillo is a bigger city than Zihua but Zihua is far more charming and much more scenic, and more geared toward tourism than Manzanillo in general.

As others have mentioned, timeshare sharks are not a big problem in Ixtapa/Zihua (Ixtapa more so than Zihua, however) and it is NOTHING like Mazatlan or PV. The ones that are there are lower key and there are fewer of them.

Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa