We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice for first timers?

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
advice for first timers?

My wife, son (1 year old) and I are flying in the second week in October and staying at Capella Ixtapa. Being that this is will be our first time in Mexico and that we don't travel internationally very often, I'm reaching out to this great community in hopes of getting some answers to a few specific questions as well as general pointers.

1. What are the best-practices/protocol for getting from the airport to the resort? Bonus if you've stayed at Capella Ixtapa specifically.

2. We would very much like to check out Zihuatanejo, enjoy the beach and do a little exploring. Any recommendations for beaches/markets/attractions we should see keeping in mind we have a 1-year-old with us?

3. We would like to pick up some food/alcohol while we're in town to take back to the resort. I've read about Commericial Mexicana, any other recommendations?

4. Any other general or specific pointers? Precautions? Can't-miss destinations?

Thank you so much in advance. These forums and trip advisor have already proved to be a valuable resource in preparing for an awesome trip!

----------------------------------------------------

Lastly, I'm anticipating someone might mention that Capella Ixtapa is not a resort geared toward children, so I'm preempting those responses by saying we are aware that it is a romantic resort focusing primarily on couples. Our son is very well behaved, but beyond that, we respect others' need for peace and quiet and we don't plan on spending a lot of time in the common areas of the resort with him.

Edited: 23 September 2013, 18:54
UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
2,951 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice for first timers?

Howdy! Welcome to the forum.

I would recommend sifting thru this forum scroll thru and find similar headlines like yours ...tons of info there.

I definitely suggest taking a taxi (or bus) over to LaRopa beach and hang out for the day. Lots of good choices and nice workers. At Elvira's, Patti's and Rossy's you can hang out in the chairs/umbrella's for just the cost of food and or drinks. Elvira's in my fav. If you don't see an umbrella just ask the guys they will place it wherever you would like for it to be. Food and drinks at almost of any of these beach front dining places are very reasonable and yummmmmmy! Madera beach is also lovely but a bit darker sand. Lots of dining choices here also. If you go to the Pier in Zihua buy a water taxi ticket from the ticket counter and take a day trip over to Las Gatas for the afternoon.

All three of the beaches I named have beach vendors. They will approach but are not overly pushy. I actually love talking to all of them and most times don't buy anything (have lottttttts of souvenir's already from my 25+ trips) but I will ask their permission to take their photo and give them a few dollars for this. Some of my favorite pix are them posing so proudly.

The mariachi guys also stroll these beaches and will offer their services...we love to have at least one play per trip. Figure on about $5.00 to $8.00 for them to stop by your umbrella. As with the vendors/musicians a friendly "no gracias" and a smile is fine. They work many hours and are in the hot sun....please be pleasant is my only advice.... :) I'm sure you would be anyway. :)

Don't be afraid to eat all over "in " zihua or on the various beaches. We have never been sick here ever...and we sample at a lot of places.

Don't forget your camera! There are some awesome sunsets to be had.

Don't forget to OVERPACK the sunscreen especially w/ the baby.

We love the commercial Mexicana.

we just always taxi. But lucky us our condo owner is picking us up this time. Score!!!

We hired Ulises Solano to take us sight seeing. He owns his own taxi. Speaks great English and such a proud countryman. HE even took us to meet his lovely family and show us his home.

His number is: Cel.+52(755) 55 9 30 23

or www.ketavi.com

Negotiate a price with him for your family. We loved it!

Don't forget your camera as you are going to want to document your baby's FIRST of many trips to this area.

Good luck w/ your planning. Lots of friendly people on this forum who truly love the area both Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,896 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice for first timers?

Head over to Rob's board :

http://www.zihuatanejo.net/tablero/

Send Frostbite an email asking for his First Timer Sheet.

It is chock full of good info for the first timer to Zihuatanejo.

Taxi from the airport to Capella is the only way to go IMO.

Rates from the Airport can be found here:

http://www.zihuatanejo.net/airporttaxi.html

Local rates (which are different) can be found here:

www.zihuatanejo.net/localtransport.html#taxi

And posted at the entrance of all hotels.

Rates are in Pesos!!

Other than that, relax and enjoy.

Welcome to our addiction.

Keith

Edited: 23 September 2013, 19:39
3. Re: advice for first timers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2013, 14:49
4. Re: advice for first timers?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 September 2013, 13:35
5. Re: advice for first timers?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 September 2013, 04:35
6. Re: advice for first timers?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2015, 13:07
7. Re: advice for first timers?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

Removed on: 17 January 2015, 13:08
8. Re: advice for first timers?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
2,951 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: advice for first timers?

Welcome to the forum Matt.... :)

I like the pix on Rob's forum :)

10. Re: advice for first timers?

Edited: 06 November 2013, 14:49
Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa