We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portage la Prairie...
Level Contributor
628 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay?

Ixtapa or Zihuatanejo?

Having NEVER been before and I'm just starting to research it for February 2015. We are more inclined to stay at a bigger Hotel or an AI when we first try out a new destination, at least until we get our feet wet.

Our likes are:

Mexican Ambiance, decent size pool(s), clean, clean and clean, directly on a beach, medium priced - moderate priced (2 week stay flight included around $5,000.00) for the two of us. Breakfast included / small kitchette area, balcony in a must and walking distance to restaurants.

From what I've read the two areas are only minutes away from one another? Ixtapa being the mega all inclusives and Zihuatanejo more Fishing Village type?

If it helps we have been to Bucerias, Huatulco and Rincon de Guayabitos and loved them all for the small town feel.

Thank-you for your help in pointing me in the right direction.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

Sounds like you should stay at the Krysatal Ixtapa. It is on the main huge beach and right in the center of everything. Its a 3 min walk to everything in town for shopping and restarants and in the middle of the 2 mile beach and golf courses. Check it out.

Williams Lake, BC...
Level Contributor
368 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

In Ixtapa the nicer resorts are Sunscape Dorado, and Barcello. Directly on the beach and close to shops and restaurants. Ixtapa Beach (Playa Parmar) is 4km long and excellent for walking and people watching. Surf can be strong here and not always suitable for swimming. As a rule if I see the locals swimming I swim and if they do not go in I do not. Up the hill, not connected to Ixtapa Beach, out on there own is La Brisa perhaps the nicest property. They get there own little beach. Zih is broken up a bit with Playa Madera and further away La Ropa Beach. Aura del Mar Hotel is right on Madera beach and Irma is on a cliff, 85 steps from the beach. Madera beach has darker sand, is somewhat small, and is used by the locals. Downtown is a 5 minute walk from these properties. you are smack dab in the middle of everything but away enough to not get noise at night. There is a bus route to La Ropa right there or you can walk 20 minutes. Cabs are plentifull and cheap. La Ropa properties are all on a cliff so you get great views but lots of stairs. Villas Mexicana is the exception. La Ropa is 2km long, clear with little waves, and very family friendly. Lots of small restaurants on this beach. I think this is the nicest beach area. That makes for a 25min walk to town, certainly ok in daytime but maybe not night as sidewalks can have broken pavement, if there are even sidewalks in places. Bus stops at 6:00pm. Lots of condo options here both on cliff and up to several blocks away. Try google Earth for a better idea. Actually Google streets lets you travel around downtown block by block. I found every restaurant mentioned here that way.

When we stay in Ixtapa we use it as a home base and take day trips all over the place. We really enjoyed Irma last year also. So close to the nicest beach, and the downtown area. Also we paid 68.00 a night! Infinity pool and a million dollar view, great staff, and the restaurant had some unique dishes we did not see anywhere else. La Ropa is a bit far from the action for us and is the best place to visit but not stay. other folks we talked too said the exact opposite. Fair enough.

Cheers!

Portage la Prairie...
Level Contributor
628 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

Wow..thanks Willy.

So I'm trying to find the 8 block x 8 block El Centro in Zihuatanejo on Google earth and I have no idea where about in that grid to start looking. lol

Can you send me a direct link for that area please on Google Earth?

Edited: 27 November 2013, 00:21
4. Re: Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2013, 17:24
Williams Lake, BC...
Level Contributor
368 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay?

Hope this works.

maps.google.com/…

If not look for all the boats in the bay and the pier. the go right to start the journey.

Cinco de mayo, jjuan alvarez, benito jaurez, vicente guerro to name a few.

Edited: 27 November 2013, 01:36
Portage la Prairie...
Level Contributor
628 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay?

Thanks Willie...That worked. Actually Linda, I'm pretty sure my research is leading me more to Zihuatanejo.

And it also looks like I like La Ropa Beach better. lol

I'm a bit a head of things, we are booked for Jamaica this Feb but Feb 2015 is when we are planning to go to Zihuatanejo. So I have lots of time to find the perfect fit!

Williams Lake, BC...
Level Contributor
368 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay?

Facepalm.

Portage la Prairie...
Level Contributor
628 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay?

What does Facepalm mean? lol

Did I say something silly again?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,704 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay?

Naw, you're just fine.

Some of us are just a bit more anal about long term planning than others.

Keith

A facepalm (sometimes also face-palm or face palm) is the physical gesture of placing one's hand flat across one's face or lowering one's face into one's hand or hands. The gesture is found in many cultures as a display of frustration, disappointment, embarrassment,[1] shock, surprise or sarcasm.[2]

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,429 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay?

I didn't know you were planning over a year ahead....but whatever! The only negative about long term planning I have personally found is that we end up wasting energy because we keep changing our minds about where to go, lol.

Have you been to Jamaica before, beechwalkers? We have been to Negril and loved it. The beaches are much nicer in Negril, and the food amazing, but Zihua is much easier to walk around and there is a better restaurant selection, with more upscale dining options, which we liked.