We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Club Med - great for family of 4?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Club Med - great for family of 4?

Don't see much info here about Club Med in Ixtapa. My wife and I are usually adventurous travelers and stay away from the big "resort" type hotels but now with a 4 year old and a 1 year probably need to change our expectations a little until the kids are a couple years older. See the Club Med gets high reviews for family trips. What else do I need to know about this spot? We don't want to just spend our entire vacation at the hotel, is it easy to get into town from here? Easy to book snorkeling/fishing trips?

Thanks for the help!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,868 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Club Med - great for family of 4?

Duck,

You would be a taxi ride up the road from Ixtapa a bit, but taxis in the area are way cheap.

If you would like Fishing Information, send me a PM and I will hook you up with The List.

In the meantime you can see the local fishing report here:

http://fishreportsixtapa.blogspot.com/

Keith

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Club Med - great for family of 4?

Ok good to know on the taxi ride. We don't want to spend 24/7 at the resort but the kid-friendly aspects are really appealling. If anyone has stayed here I would love food reviews also. I'm always leary of all inclusives food but the 2 that we have tried over the years (both individual hotels so not in the Club Med chain) the food has been completely amazing.

Also PM sent on fishing. I'll probably be a single so will want to try and hook up with another single or small group.

Edited: 02 December 2013, 19:16
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Club Med - great for family of 4?

also - how much and how long from club med in ixtapa to the art market in zihua by taxi?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,949 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Club Med - great for family of 4?

according to this page:

www.zihuatanejo.net/localtransport.html#taxi

It is 115 pesos from downtown Zihua to Playa Linda, where the Club Med is (I think??). But I am not sure how current the prices are on that page. You can also catch a bus from Playa Linda or Ixtapa into Zihua, but for four people the cost savings wouldn't be worth it anyway.

I have heard the Club Med is great for families. It is not really 'remote' at all, I wouldn't say. Not sure about the food, your best bet is to read the hotel reviews on here.

Ixtapa, Mexico
Level Contributor
732 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Club Med - great for family of 4?

Hi, Club Med is a great property and probably the best food in AI. I have not been to the others though. There is a bus to take you downtown Zihua or a taxi. Its a maximum 20 minute ride. The area is safe. If you are spending one Sunday night, downtown Zihua has family night with street food, music and activities for kids. Club Med also has great activities for kids. Enjoy.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Club Med - great for family of 4?

I've been to 5 Club Meds but never to the one in Ixtapa. As a general rule, they have very good food, by far the best activity staff and AI activities of any resort, good but not opulent rooms, and a real nice atmosphere. They are fantastic for kids (often 3-4 age levels of kiddie clubs), although your kids may be too young to really enjoy the activities. (My daughter LOVED the Club Meds from about age 9 - 15 - has fantastic memories of the time she spent there.) If they won't spend much time in the kiddie clubs (and your 1 yr old may be too young anyway), and you don't do many activities either (tennis or sailing lessons and activities...) then you'll be paying a good deal for outstanding activities that you don't use. It depends on what you are looking for...

western australia
Level Contributor
669 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Club Med - great for family of 4?

Hi

Big advocate for CM- my trip report with pics (inc food)

travelblog.org/North-America/Mexico/Guerrero…

Loved the food!

To get to little art market near CM is a half hour walk or less, I didn't get a taxi. Didn't venture to the big art market. Loved the National Park close by. We were there in December 2012 and the weather was great. (Need Bug spray for the park).

alberta
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Club Med - great for family of 4?

Have walked through club med and it looked fantastic. Another great family resort for young children is the Azul Ixtapa just down the road, and it is often much cheaper. Our 2 and 4 yr old loved the water slide park, kiddie pool built right into the main pool, kids disco, amazing playground, etc

9. Re: Club Med - great for family of 4?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa