We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Azul Grand Restaurants

Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
245 reviews
Save Topic
Azul Grand Restaurants

Do you recommend calling the resort in advance to reserve at a la carte restaurants? Or just wait until we get on property? We are staying Jan 6-11 so I think this will be after the holiday rush.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,749 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Azul Grand Restaurants

Take a deep breath.

Let it out slowly.

It will be okay. (lol)

Wait until you get there so that you can see what interests you.

Keith

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Azul Grand Restaurants

Come on, Keith. You know we've all been to AI's where you show up excited for dining options and find that they are either booked all week or closed the days you'd like to go ;-)

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,749 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Azul Grand Restaurants

Ha! Actually no.

The closest that I came to an A.I. was when the Dorado Pacifico was taken over by AM Resorts.

We were there at the time that they changed over, in the middle of our trip.

Other than that, nope, no A.I. ever since my first visit to Mexico in 1972.

(courtesy of the U.S.A.F.)

Keith

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Azul Grand Restaurants

Wait, what? I thought you were splitting your time between Las Brisas and Emporio.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,794 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Azul Grand Restaurants

I know you are going to look at properties for your clients...but give your clients a choice...eating out is so much fun...and eating at a buffet or at a required all inclusive is about the most boring and tourist thing you can do. Business travelers get out a lot...apparently more than you do...and should be interested in a good meal...not just another hotel meal. Ever eat at a Sheraton all week long...or a Holiday Inn...all inclusive is the same thing.

I too thought you were going to split your time between Zihuatanejo and Ixtapa...there are some beautiful properties that you should deal with for business travelers in Zihua...most would NOT want the Azul Grand...and have you ever tried to deal with a Spanish owned company and get your commission from your bookings?? Good luck!!! I am really shocked that your company doesn't catch on/get it.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Azul Grand Restaurants

Ok, fair enough, we haven't all been to AI's. I did book Emporio/Las Brisas and we were excited but were beckoned to Azul Grande and changed plans (for better or worse but we'll make the best of it!).

Judy-Why, yes, I have worked for Spanish owned companies as I lived in Ecuador and worked for a travel agency booking cruises and land stays in the Galapagos and around the country. I am not a travel agent and do not work on commissions, I am an event director and travel to client-driven destinations. My clients are not leisure couples and family travelers but corporate groups who choose destinations based on their participants' needs. The issues that we have with these large groups, are that we need accommodations and function space to accommodate their needs and size. In addition, many participants are not very well traveled and prefer the "safety" hotels for whatever reason unbeknownst to me. I don't appreciate you slamming my company when you don't understand what I do at all. In addition, tripadvisor is a friendly forum for conversation and recommendations. I understand if you don't agree with one's choice of accommodation (I have been to Atlantis more times than one can count and think it's awful but my clients continue to request it!) but an objective opinion to assist one's travel needs is better than a subjective opinion.

Edited: 12 December 2013, 00:33
Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,749 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Azul Grand Restaurants

I keep forgetting that this is a business Thang for you!

(I wasn't being "snarky by the way lol)

For future A.I. reference in the area for you.: We stay at Las Brisas since the Americanization of the Dorado by AM Resorts (they took our reservation for a "smoking room, Jr. Suite, and didn't bother to inform us Until Check In that the hotel was now "smoke free").

It seems that Canadian tour/travel companies get a better A.I. deal at Las Brisas than the U.S. companies do.

Price point for us going out of MSP and booking though Orbitz this year as they were the lowest cost is as follows:

Room service breakfast every day. (not incuded in AI)

Beach food and drink service every afternoon.

Dinner at whatever Al A Carte restaurant is open that evening, every evening. (also not on AI for every evening)

And lastly all of the tipping that we do. (and yes folks, you should be tipping against what your meal would cost non AI)

So, that said, with a couple of off site dinners and lunches during our last 8 night stay, at check-out we were at just about 850 U.S. for the two of us, or 425 PP.

The upcharge to buy the AI package for that stay would have been just over 1300 (or 650 PP) for us here in the U.S. and would not have included the above that were noted, nor any of the tips.

That is where it comes out for us. Your mileage may differ.

By staying EP I am just about paying In Full for two days fishing on what we save over A.I.

Keith

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Azul Grand Restaurants

That's a helpful breakdown, thanks! The first four nights of our stay will be at Las Brisas not participating in the AI package. I'm looking forward to it!

Ixtapa, Mexico
Level Contributor
732 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Azul Grand Restaurants

Segmn, for the purpose you describe, you will like the Azul.

10. Re: Azul Grand Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2014, 05:17