We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunwing airline

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
531 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Sunwing airline

Had a great experience with sunwing both ways.

Just got back and would travel with them again.

Ontario
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunwing airline

Well that's great you were very fortunate if I were you I would run out and by a lottery ticket lol.

No really its nice to hear someone had a good experience with them.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunwing airline

I've not flown via Sunwing to Mexico yet but I have from Vancouver to Cuba and I thought they were fantastic. Super fast check-in, great service, even free gluten-free meals by request and free champagne/wine. It was by FAR the least expensive and fastest way to fly to Cuba from here.

Edited: 09 February 2014, 00:13
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,187 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunwing airline

Sunwing has a poor reputation for certain things, like flight delays and changes to scheduled flights.

But we have flown with them a few times including to Cuba and had no negative issues.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,889 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunwing airline

Is Sunwing just charters during the high season? It appears that you can only book round trip for 2 weeks. Am I correct?

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,116 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunwing airline

Yes...and then the cheapest hotel packages that they can sign on for...which is what causes lots of problems as the clients don't understand they have the mountain view or the city view rooms...and many food items are not included on their all inclusive plan. And of course clients who have been to Playa del Carmen, PVR, etc...know what an all inclusive hotel should be...and are not told about the Ixtapa hotels that were not built to be all inclusive with acres of land, multiple restaurants, bars and pools...The reps in Ixtapa really earn their money dealing with all the problems this causes...

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,187 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunwing airline

Yes, only charters and yes only two or three week packages. For the regular AI vacationers only, not the long term stay folks. But for the AI package crowd, they do a capable job, generally like all the other charter airlines.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunwing airline

They actually will do long stays (any duration you want), but it has to be built. You need to call a travel agent for that since it won't be in the system and their deviations department will have to do it for them.

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
174 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunwing airline

We flew sunwing to Cabo in 2012 and had a great experience. There were no delays or changes to the flight. We are flying with them to Ixtapa in a couple of weeks and hoping it is just as good.

Brantford
Destination Expert
for Varadero
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunwing airline

No problems flying with Sunwing to Cuba ,I have not flown with Sunwing to Mexico,WestJet or Air Canada are the only airlines I have flown with to Mexico, no problems with either of these two .Looks like Air Canada this time to Ixtapa (Sunscape Dorado ).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunwing airline

You can only book 1 or 2 week round-trips through Sunwing's website, but if you call them by phone you can request a rate for longer trips. However, I found that a 2 week flight-only round-trip to Zihua in March was going to be $870 total for me (nonstop flights from/to Vancouver), but a 3 week trip was going to be over $1400! 4 weeks was going to be $1300. I decided to go with Alaska Air instead, even though it's less convenient and has layovers, because I wanted to stay longer than 2 weeks. I'm sure the rates vary for different dates so it doesn't hurt to check though.

Their resort packages are a better deal than the flight-only rates of course.

Edited: 23 February 2014, 07:25
Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa