We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My important advise

Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
510 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
My important advise

this is for northern white...folks.

the sun is hot and deceiving..

where a hat..mega sun screen .

and don't totally over due the first day.

Or you can be like me and get "The sun sickness"

I passed out and well the details are not pretty.

I lost a day of my vaca...and I know better..

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,536 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My important advise

ohhhhh....not fun at all!

yes, it can be blazing hot in Zihua/Ixtapa. Huatulco is even hotter...that was the first trip I was ever TOO hot.

Good warning... I hope you feel better!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My important advise

Oh my that doesn't sound good. I've felt sick there a few times but the remedy was always drinking a gallon of water. Future travelers to I/Z -- beware! The heat and sun are brutal compared to what we're used to (-9 here in Chi town).

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,798 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My important advise

Drink tons of water...and stand in the shower with the water just pouring on you. Get some milk and gently with cotton or a soft wash cloth pat it on you...do NOT put any sun oil on it at all...as it will just trap the heat and you will fry...think grease in a frying pan...ouch.

Ixtapa, Mexico
Level Contributor
196 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My important advise

The trick is to NOT wear a hat (look around and you will not see a Mexican with a hat) because it will not let your head cool, but to stay out of the sun unless you are going in to swim and then make sure you are slathered with sunscreen.

If you meet the northern white folks who live here you will notice they are white, they are not tan, because they do not go out in the sun.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My important advise

Gosh! I know a lot of Zihuatanejo local Caucasian gringos that are as brown as bears.

PS I walked the entire Monte Alban site today just outside Oaxaca without a hat. Looking a bit brown myself after 4 hours at this most magnificent ancient ruins.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My important advise

The Sun is very strong year round at their latitude.

If you are a short timer like most of us in here, Hat On when in the Sun and Hat Off when under the Palapa or in the shade.

Sunscreen depends on your skin type. The Girlfriend is a Red Head and doesn't leave the room with out 30 on. I go without if we are beaching it under the palapa and bathe in 15 if I am heading out fishing.

Keith

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
2,821 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My important advise

Feel better soon....find a nice palapa somewhere that has lots of palm trees nearby. We love their cooling breezes....hydrate....hope you are 100% real soon.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My important advise

We can also learn from the Mexican families at our hotels who go inside during the heat of the day and then return for swimming around 5. Us northerners have a hard time doing that.

san luis obispo, CA
Level Contributor
124 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My important advise

Ouch! I hope you feel better soon. My husband burned the tops of his feet once while on vacation and was miserable the rest of the trip, flip flops rubbed it and tennis shoes were more comfortable but his feet were burning up.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My important advise

I generally have one day where I fall asleep in the sun without my sunglasses being on. Next morning I awake to tee tiny little slitty eyes and some very very large swollen areas under my eyes. We all do something sooner or later.