We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunscape Dorado - Lack of beach chairs or lack of shade?

Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, AB
4 posts
Save Topic
Sunscape Dorado - Lack of beach chairs or lack of shade?

Could anyone set me straight on the lounger/chair situation at the Sunscape. Is it a lack of loungers for the beach or the lack of shade in which to put the lounger/chair under? If it's a shade issue, no problem I will bring a few beach umbrellas from home. We have booked for two weeks late March and into April. Thanks

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunscape Dorado - Lack of beach chairs or lack of shade?

Last time we were there was 2011 so take this with a grain of salt.

There were no loungers on the beach, only beach chairs under the Palapas.

Some days you could request a lounger and you would get one, other days they would tell you they were not to be on the beach. Flip a coin.

They did at that time have some of the white plastic beach chairs that you could grab and sit where you would. Don't know if they still do.

Keith

Minnesota
Level Contributor
47 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunscape Dorado - Lack of beach chairs or lack of shade?

We were just there in January and it's lack of shade. There were plenty of loungers stacked up against the wall directly below the restaurant that you could take and move around, but it was hard to find shade on the beach.

Edmonton, AB
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunscape Dorado - Lack of beach chairs or lack of shade?

Thanks for the quick replies. I find it hard to understand why the hotel doesn't provide beach umbrellas to solve this issue. It would go along way to help prevent the early morning chair game from happening. As long as I know how it works I can be prepared and enjoy my holiday!

Oakdale, Minnesota
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunscape Dorado - Lack of beach chairs or lack of shade?

As an early riser I don't have much of an issue with it. I don't like how they can sit empty for so long without the staff moving their stuff. But I'm on vacation so I roll with the punches.

Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunscape Dorado - Lack of beach chairs or lack of shade?

We just got back from the Dorado. Last year there were 23 palapas on the beach. This year there are 18 palapas and 16 pergolas on the beach and the competition to get one was fierce. I am an early riser and would usually head to the beach around 6:15am. By 7am most everything was taken. Some people were going out much earlier than me. I heard some were getting the palapas near the pool around 4am. Now that being said, a lot depends on the week you will be there.

Edmonton, AB
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunscape Dorado - Lack of beach chairs or lack of shade?

We are going during the Spring Break (kids are off school March 28 - April 7th) then staying another week. Spent yesterday digging out our back shed to get the beach umbrellas!! I'm going to throw those in our sport bag with the tennis rackets and snorkel gear just to be safe. When on holidays there are soooo many other things I enjoy in the mornings rather than hunting down shade for the day. As long as I can get a lounger for my daughter and I, my husband can put the umbrellas up where/when needed!! Thanks again everyone! Looking forward to some much needed relaxation and sun!

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunscape Dorado - Lack of beach chairs or lack of shade?

I just do not get why anyone would pay money to stay at a place that did not provide adequate lounge chairs & umbrellas. It's your money folks. Demand better treatment or go elsewhere.

Just mi dos pesos.

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunscape Dorado - Lack of beach chairs or lack of shade?

Just back. Resort was full capacity, (friends tried to book). We had no problem every finding shade. Yes in the mornings if you did not "reserve" a chair by 7 in the shade you might not have a prime location but lots of chairs still available in the shade until 8ish in other areas.

I was worried about this prior to going but found it not to be any problem.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
926 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunscape Dorado - Lack of beach chairs or lack of shade?

We also just got back - it appears that the problem is many people get several towels and reserve space at the beach, space at the pools, space for their friends who may or may not show up etc. Other resorts have solved this problem by giving one beach towel to each guest upon checkin and then asking for the towel to be returned on checkout or pay a lost towel fee. But after learning how to play the game, we got to the beach by 7 each morning to claim our chairs.

10. Re: Sunscape Dorado - Lack of beach chairs or lack of shade?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2015, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa