We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Irma and Ocean View rooms ; Becoming an Issue ?

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Irma and Ocean View rooms ; Becoming an Issue ?

Hi there, coming to Zihua again in March; Have been here on three previous occasions. Will be staying with a friend at Irma, haven't stayed here but had great reviews before and was recommended by a nice couple last time I was here. I'm getting a bit anxious now about our stay as several guests are complaining about not getting the ocean view room that they paid for and management having various excuses for not being able to accomodate them. Can anyone else share some ideas and/or shed some clarity with this ? We may want to cancel and book at Villa Mexicana instead. Replies are very much appreciated :)

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,993 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Irma and Ocean View rooms ; Becoming an Issue ?

I see you are from Canada...and most of the Canadian tour companies that are using the Irma booked the NON oceanview rooms so they can sell it as a cheap pacakge...so that might be the problem. In the past the Canadians who booked the standard rooms have always wanted to get an upgrade for free...instead of booking the view they really wanted...but didn't want to pay that higher rate. The USA tour companies have an option...standard room or oceanview room...might want to check your tour company and see what the find print says.

The owner is a friend of mine...and this has never been a problem for all the clients that have booked at the Hotel Irma with the USA tour companies...

Edited: 26 February 2014, 16:37
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Irma and Ocean View rooms ; Becoming an Issue ?

Hi, thanks for that. I did not book at our pkg but built my own pkge trough expedia hotel + air for 9 days. Paid extra for ocean view offered; I just want a nice quiet room with a balcony and the ocean view, not looking for a free upgrade.

Could u put in a good word for me and my friend. ?! ;)

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Irma and Ocean View rooms ; Becoming an Issue ?

We have stayed at Irma 6-7 times and have never had an issue. We always get the room we have requested and paid for online (oceanview).

We have booked on the Irma website directly or used a USA package (delta vacations) and never had a probem!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,947 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Irma and Ocean View rooms ; Becoming an Issue ?

"but built my own pkge trough expedia hotel + air for 9 days. "

That is how we also book now, 90% of the time. When booking a specific package, like oceanview room, we have never had any problems booking with Expedia- Irma included. Definitely have your printout stating this is the room category you have booked just in case.

Auberry, California
Level Contributor
156 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Irma and Ocean View rooms ; Becoming an Issue ?

We were Barra de Potosi in late Jan. early Feb. and met a couple who had stayed a few nights in Zihua first. They had booked an ocean veiw room at the Irma and when they arrived were told they didn't have a room for them as there were plumbing issues with all of their ocean view rooms. They instead moved them to Villa Mexicana and they were very happy.

Brantford
Destination Expert
for Varadero
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Irma and Ocean View rooms ; Becoming an Issue ?

TravelJudy ..." I see you are from Canada" by definition, what the owner of the Hotel Irma is saying that always ,every single time,without fail , a Canadian that booked a standard room has always wanted to get an upgrade for free...?

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Irma and Ocean View rooms ; Becoming an Issue ?

Thanks everyone for your responses ! You have put my mind at ease; my friend and I are really looking forward to our time in lovely Zihua and the Hotel Irma does look so charming. I've done all the "right" things (mentioned) when I booked and paid extra for an Ocean View Room including breakfast. We are in need of some heavy duty R & R, sun and beach rejuvenating, sooo can't wait !

PS: I will bring my confirmation for the Hotel that clearly states Ocean view, thanks for that reminder. It's also nice to know that they would put us up in the Villa Mexicana as an alternate, if they were having problems, gracias.

Thanks again and cheers all ! :)

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,947 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Irma and Ocean View rooms ; Becoming an Issue ?

That is great, Anita, I hope you love it there and have a great vacation!

BC
Level Contributor
4,329 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Irma and Ocean View rooms ; Becoming an Issue ?

Yes, but it still goes back to those reviewers who PAID for an ocean view room and did not get what they paid for. The hotel is not managing their reservations properly.

I considered the Irma two years ago, but didn't book it for the reason that I wanted to be assured an ocean view. I had written to them and Claudia Nunez replied promptly: "Most of the rooms are ocean view. (90% of the total of rooms) Make the reservation and send us a request for view. Regards

I ended up instead at the Aura del Mar.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
845 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Irma and Ocean View rooms ; Becoming an Issue ?

I have been doing research for a future trip back. For now it appears that the only major tour company that carries the Irma and Villa Mexicana is Suwing at great prices I might add. Both have the option to upgrade to ocean view, Irma in April out of Toronto was $20.00 extra a week for ocean view and the Mexicana was around $25.00 extra. All of the people I know that have gone to both hotels upgraded and paid for ocean view,only one had a issue at Irma's not being available. Check out the prices with air and hotel , some great deals for these two hotels.

Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa
Recent Conversations