We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info on Ixtapa

Okanagan Valley...
Level Contributor
322 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Info on Ixtapa

I have never been to the west coast of Mexico before, but have been to the Mayan Riviera 6 times over the past few years. Also have been to various islands in the Caribbean and Hawaii.

I love the places I have visited with exception to the Dom Republic. Will I like Ixtapa compared to those places?

The price is about the same to west or east coasts. I do love to swim in the ocean, but realize that might not happen in Ixtapa, so what are the other things to do there?

The reason I am looking at Ixtapa (and also P. Vallarta) is because I can fly direct and want a bit of a change.

Wanting to travel the end of January.

Thanks.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Info on Ixtapa

Check out the webcams:

www.webcamsdemexico.com/webcam-ixtapa.html

If you were in love with big sprawling A.I.properties it probably isn't your cup o tea.

If you like the smaller places, yup you'll like it.

Keith

Ixtapa, Mexico
Level Contributor
732 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Info on Ixtapa

Hi, I believe you will love Ixtapa. It is very different from Cancun or Dom Republic, the beach is long and wide and beautiful. The waves can be strong but it is not true you cannot swim in it. I know people who swim in it everyday. What can happen is that when your are there for a week only, the waves can be so strong to make you believe it is so all the time. Check the webcam, you will see many people in the ocean. Just as a precaution, do not go in drunk or turn your back on it and respect the flags. Hope this helps.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,369 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Info on Ixtapa

Does your tour operator offer any of the Zihuatanejo properties...like Hotel Irma or Villas Mexicana? I know the tour companies are negotiating with both properties now. They are NOT all inclusive, but you can swim in Zihuatanejo...at LaRopa, and enjoy choosing what you want to eat and drink...and it is fun to walk around and find all these places.

Ixtapa is small...and as Labrat said...if you are expecting 5 pools and 20 restaurants...you will be disappointed. It is NOT Cancun. The resorts in Ixtapa were built many years ago, many need to be updated, but were built close to each other...you can easily walk from end to end of the beach...so no 20 acre properties!! Most have only one pool, and have makeshift restaurants by the pool, and inside to make it work as an all inclusive. But it is the people and the beauty of the area that makes you want to keep on coming back...besides the weather is so much better on the Pacific coast in the winter time. NO heats pools needed!

Okanagan Valley...
Level Contributor
322 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Info on Ixtapa

Thank you so much for all the info.

For the suggestion on the Hotel Irma, my hairdresser stayed there recently and had to change resorts because it was not good for her, and she doesn't have high standards.

I was looking at the Azul Grand Resort and Las Brisas possibly. I would like to be within walking distance to town, and all-inclusive.

Also, I don't mind smaller resorts at all as I have mostly stayed in resorts with up to 200 rooms.

Any other resort recommendations?

Ixtapa, Mexico
Level Contributor
732 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Info on Ixtapa

Hi, Club Med is a great property especially if you are bringing the children. It is not walking distance from town, neither is Azul or Brisas. Dorado is well located but I dont know much about this property, it is all inclusive.

I am concerned about swimming at La Ropa or the other beaches in Zihua. There was a hygiene warning not long ago and I am not aware if the issue is resolved now. I suppose it will be for the next busy tourist season.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Info on Ixtapa

BM,

To be right across from shopping and such, with All Inclusive, for your first trip down I would recommend the Sunscape Dorado. Upgrade to the Junior/Family suite is suggested for the best view.

Las Brisas is a bit more isolated, and the Azul is North of "town".

As for 200 rooms being small? That would be in the BIG category for the area.

Keith

Edited: 09 June 2014, 15:02
Okanagan Valley...
Level Contributor
322 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Info on Ixtapa

We are 2 women travelling (55 years old), and just want a break for ourselves. Our kids are grown, so we don't need a family place, but would like a bit of luxury (nice room and pool) since we don't have the Caribbean to swim in.

The Sunscape sounds interesting because of being close to shopping, etc.

Thank you.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Info on Ixtapa

Actually, if you want more peace and quiet and less kids, I would recommend Las Brisas. You might like a bit more isolation and the private beach, and going into Ixtapa is certainly a walkable distance. The Dorado can be very crowded and it's very hard to find a pool chair during the winter season.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,607 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Info on Ixtapa

Will you like it? Impossible to predict.

Zihuatanejo is our very favourite place in all of Mexico, we have been to all the beach resort areas other than Mazatlan and Acapulco. But, we prefer to stay in Zihua at a non AI hotel or a condo rather than Ixtapa. Ixtapa is very nice too, but in this area we prefer non AI due to all the great restaurants and the walkability of Zihua.

If you go looking for the huge isolated resorts of the Mayan side, or the white sand & Windex water beaches, big eco parks and nightclubs and Starbucks of PDC or Cancun- you might be disappointed in Ixtapa. It is much more Mexican in feeling, less commercialized and Americanized (while still being manicured and touristy!). The weather, on the other hand, at the end of January, is MUCH better in Ixtapa than the east coast. :)

The Sunscape and the Las Brisas are both nice. The Capella is geat, if you can afford it. I would urge you to think about staying on La Ropa, look at La Casa Que Canta and the Viceroy and also the Aura del Mar on Playa Madera. If I were going on a girl's trip I would stay at one of those.

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Info on Ixtapa

Just Curious what drew you back to RM so many times and what you didn't like about Dominican Republic as I have been to all these places as well as PTV and Zihua area and maybe can help w/ comparisons.

Happy Planning