We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel on best part of beach

Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Okanagan Valley...
Level Contributor
307 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel on best part of beach

I'm now looking to stay on the beach in Zihuat, and have decided to forget about A/I in Ixtapa.

Can someone recommend a hotel with these points in mind -

Nice beach with comfortable beach chairs, close to town (walking, preferably).

Must be directly on the beach.

The Villa Mexicana is offered in a package from my area, but no others are.

I might end up with Villa Mexicana, but would like a place maybe a step up from that one. Not too expensive though.

2 women in their 50's are going who need a break from their families.

We will probably go to Ixtapa Island, Los Gatos beach to snorkel, go into town each night, and love to go on 1 hour+ walks.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,278 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel on best part of beach

Needed one directly ON the beach eliminates quite a few.

The Villa Mexicana and the Catalina are both on La Ropa- Catalina has more steps down to the beach though. Both are mid-range.

The Irma and the Aura del Mar on on Playa Madera, which is a smaller beach with a bit darker sand but nice and swimmable. Steeper, so more stairs, but great views. This beach is closest to downtown so easy walk both to town (and to the pier to catch a water taxi to Las Gatas) and to La Ropa if you want to go to that beach or to restaurants in the La Ropa area.

The Aura is a step above the others. It's very nice. The Irma is very similar to Villa Mexicana.

You could also take a look at La Casa que Canta:

www.lacasaquecanta.com/…

And the Viceroy:

viceroyhotelsandresorts.com/en/…overview

But they will be quite a bit more $$.

BC
Level Contributor
3,999 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel on best part of beach

Aura del Mar is perfect for you. No need for a package, just book your airfare and hotel separately to get what you want.

The hotel has nice chairs under a palapa roof on the beach, chairs around the pool, chairs in a shaded deck a bit higher than the sand, but lower than the pool, it is such a beautiful place. We got up every morning and had a swim in the ocean after our coffee on our balcony (coffee and coffee maker provided in the room), then a swim and a slide in the pool, before showering and walking somewhere for breakfast. Then we'd walk around town for awhile before returning to the hotel, maybe to lie in the hammock on the balcony with a cold drink. Then would walk down Adelita to have dinner somewhere. It was perfect!

This past winter we stayed in Ixtapa, right on the beach, because the airfare was so high (over $1100) and the hotel was "free". The beach was beautiful, but rough, so I didn't go in much after getting hit by a big wave. Great for walking on the beach. It just wasn't the same being in Ixtapa and we took the bus into Zihua almost every day.

blaine, mn
Level Contributor
818 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel on best part of beach

Have stayed at both Aura del Mar and Irma. Aura much nicer, softer beds, just a bit closer to town. It has 4 hammocks hanging in a shaded deck overlooking the pool and ocean. Nice staff, clean rooms at both places. Refrigerators in room at Aura, not at Irma.

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
2,793 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel on best part of beach

if "beach' is the most important factor imho the sand is nicer on LaRopa than on La madera beach.

If you have to be On the beach and want "soft white sand" under your tootsies, if that's your vision as it is for many.... then choose a hotel on LaRopa.

No matter what!! Enjoyyyyyy!!

happy planning.

BC
Level Contributor
3,999 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel on best part of beach

Actually the sand is VERY soft at Madera Beach -- that is one of the first things I mentioned and commented on during our first visit. How soft and nice the sand was, compared to the Yucatan side of the country (my feet actually got cut up badly by the sand in Cancun). It is darker sand than La Ropa, but really soft and still noticeably soft when you go in the water.

Madera beach is used by locals, we liked this but it might not be to everyone's liking. A different atmosphere than La Ropa. I'll be staying at La Ropa next winter, so will see if I enjoy it as much, I'm not into sitting at beach restaurants/bars, so am a bit worried about finding shade at La Ropa.

Wisconsin Dells...
Level Contributor
5,291 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel on best part of beach

I think you would enjoy LaRopa Beach and Villa Mexicana. Good location and a few places to have drinks and food beside there restaurant. Close to a small market to pick up items too.

Okanagan Valley...
Level Contributor
307 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel on best part of beach

Maryann,

I know I can't expect the sand and water to be as nice as in Playacar on the Caribbean side of Mexico, but would like the best beach in the area, so it sounds like LaRopa it is.

I love chalk white sand and turquoise water.

Thanks for your info.

8. Re: Hotel on best part of beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2015, 05:16