We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean View Rooms at Barcelo Ixtapa

Northern Minnesota
10 posts
Save Topic
Ocean View Rooms at Barcelo Ixtapa

Well it is 28 days and counting till I have my feet in the sand and thawed water of Ixtapa!

We stayed at the Barcelo last February for 10 days, and this year I'm taking my 2 - 20 something daughters for a mom/daughter trip March 1-8th . We had an oceanview room last year, and that was a great perk. My question to you....

I emailed the hotel in September, requested a 4 or 5th floor ocean view room, and received a confirmation email that they would give us that. So now that the time is getting close, I thought it best to reconfirm my request. I've emailed them twice, and no reply. Any suggestions, or should I just take the initial email granting my request, and hope that they honor that? This is my daughter from Alaska's first time to a beach in 16 years, so want to make it special for her...and I know they will both love the sound of the ocean at nite.

Sorry this is wordy...just looking for some advice.

Also...wondering about suggestions for snorkeling...I read that the Picante is good...or should we just take the water taxi to Ixtapa Island? Like I said...I want this trip to be very special for my daughters.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Picante
Picante
211 Reviews
Ixtapa, Mexico
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
San Rafael...
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
460 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean View Rooms at Barcelo Ixtapa

I went to the Barcelo in November. I emailed them before we went with our request for an oceanview room and they confirmed it in an email. Same as you, I emailed them again when it got close and did not hear from them. But, everything was fine when we got there. I took a copy of the email with me in case of problems. Ixtapa Island has great snorkeling. Have fun!

Laurie

Mentioned in this post
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Northern Minnesota
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean View Rooms at Barcelo Ixtapa

Hey Laurie,

Thanks for the reassuring post! We had such a fun time last winter, that I'm really looking forward to relaxing in the sun of Mexico...sure is going to be a welcome relief from the well below zero weather we've been having in MN!!

I will print the email, and hope things go as well for me, as they did for you!

Thanks for the snorkeling tip also!

Connie

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
180 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean View Rooms at Barcelo Ixtapa

Do you have the email address for the Barcelo? I would like to email a room request also. Thanks

Northern Minnesota
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean View Rooms at Barcelo Ixtapa

Hi,

Here's the email I used. E-mail: sac7@barcelo.com

When are you going to Ixtapa? I cannot wait to get there...thaw out this frozen body...it's been a long winter!

Connie

Mentioned in this post
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Brainerd, MN
Level Contributor
230 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean View Rooms at Barcelo Ixtapa

We are staying at the Barcelo in March too!! Did you book through Worry Free vacations or some other travel company? Since I booked through Worry Free and emailed them would they have me on record? Any suggestions? We usually stay at the Dorado but are bringing our daughter and didn't want the surprise food and drink bill upon leaving!

Northern Minnesota
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocean View Rooms at Barcelo Ixtapa

Hey,

Sure seems to be alot of Minnesotans on here! No small wonder, it's going to be -50 with the wind by tomorrow morning...I'm ready to be in Ixtapa! Just 20 more days...

I've heard good things on the Dorado, but we were very satisfied with the Barcelo last year, and since it's my daughter's and myself going, figured I'd stick to somewhere I knew the routine.

I booked thru Worry Free also, I requested the ocean view room thru them, but they could not guarantee it. So when I got back home, I emailed the Barcelo directly with my request, they replied quickly, and I will print off and take their reply stating that they will accomodate my request of an ocean view room. I would go that route, and see what they tell you. There are lots of ocean view rooms, and if you can't get one that first nite, perhaps you can ask to be moved as one becomes available.

The food at the Barcelo is good, lots of choices, swim up bar is fun, with good drinks, that are far from watered down the bartenders are a hoot too! We did venture out for food too...Franks was a fun place, good pizza and cold beer :o)

Maybe we will run into each other when we are both there soaking up the sun!

Connie

Mentioned in this post
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Brainerd, MN
Level Contributor
230 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ocean View Rooms at Barcelo Ixtapa

That would be nice to run into you but unfortunately we don't leave until March 19th. Have a great time and leave me a message when you return and let me know what you experience!

About Ixtapa Island I think it is overrated. A little bias as we are scuba divers. The coral is not taken care of, the waves crash you into the rocks, etc. It was a fun adventure. We took the public bus, water taxi - that was fun! The bathrooms were disgusting on Ixtapa Island - I don't know if I would like to eat there either. That was back in 2000 - so things might have changed. It doesn't look like it from the pictures. It was nice we did it - probably won't do it again. We really enjoyed the sunset cruise - beautiful!!

I don't know anything about the Picante - what is it?

You can leave me an message direct if you would like!

Karen

Mentioned in this post
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Picante
Picante
211 Reviews
Ixtapa, Mexico
Oregon
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ocean View Rooms at Barcelo Ixtapa

Hey everyone, my husband and I are going May 9-16 and I will try the same process of email. Thanks for the tip. First trip to Ixtapa and we are counting down the days. Look forward to your review when you get back...

Mentioned in this post
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Northern Minnesota
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ocean View Rooms at Barcelo Ixtapa

Well I will post on here all about our trip when we get back, just to let you know how it all went with the email confirmation on the room, and any fun things we found to do.

You will like the Barcelo, the rooms are a bit dated, but clean, and the staff is excellent. You can walk most anywhere you want to go.

Can't believe it's almost time to head there! Seems like my countdown has been a long one!

Some fresh snow in MN this morning...soon I will be looking out on green grass & thawed water!

More after March 8th!

Connie

10. Re: Ocean View Rooms at Barcelo Ixtapa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 01:18
Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa
Recent Conversations