We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tequia shopping

Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
606 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Tequia shopping

I would like to bring home some tequila for our kids as a gift. Where is the best place to buy? Best selection, best prices - should I wait for duty free at the airport? Any help appreciated.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,931 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tequia shopping

Duty free isn't any cheaper. There is a Tequila shop under the inflated Corona bottle in the Ixtapa mall. That way you can pack your purchase into your luggage rather than carry it from the duty free. Take bubble wrap if you want to be sure nothing breaks.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
268 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tequia shopping

Casa Tequila in Zihuatanejo. Good selection of some less common brands.

appleton wi
Level Contributor
604 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tequia shopping

And depending where you are flying into for customs make sure you only take the allotted amount...I always did as I pleased but not anymore last time when flying thru Atlanta customs I was stopped and had to pay the extra tax was detained for 45 mins for this it was a pain in the butt The good ole US wants its money perhaps if you don't by at duty free where they swipe your passport you can get away with more? but I was busted with four bottles and and they went thru every thing I bought and added up the value

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
268 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tequia shopping

For Canada, you can basically bring back 1.14 litres (40 oz) of hard liquor. Most bottles are in the standard 750ml (26 oz) as I recall. So one bottle per person, a big one if you can find it.

One thing I have found it that even some high end bottles will leak if inverted, and since you will have to check the bottle in your luggage, I would recommend duct taping the top and bubble wrapping it.

Also if you buy duty free at the ZIH airport and have a connecting flight through the US, it will get taken away at the security screening, provided that the connection makes you go through security.

Saint Cloud...
Level Contributor
183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tequia shopping

Casa Tequila in Z would be the best place IMO they let you sample before you buy!

Bay Area
Level Contributor
228 posts
879 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tequia shopping

Casa Tequila or La Comercial Mexicana

One suggestion: make sure it is tequila i.e. has the CRT marking and hologram, is made in Tequila with the Tequila appellation, and is from blue agave.

For gifts, reposado or anejo, if you want to sip tequila; blanco (or silver) the cheapest version is for margaritas.

If you want a pretty bottle, the airport is the place,

Caution: for airline security purposes, you need to pack bottles carefully in your checked luggage, especially if you have a connecting flight.

7. Re: Tequia shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa
Recent Conversations