We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Storms Chicago

Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
Level Contributor
93 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Winter Storms Chicago

Anyone scheduled to depart Chicago on Continental on Wed early a.m. connecting through Houston? They are calling for a major snowstorm here starting Monday night, through Tues night with a possible 6-12". Unfortunately, that is the only flight of the day to Zih in both Chicago and Houston. Next available flight that there are seats is Saturday. We have never had a snowstorm day, but Ixtapa never had 72 hours of rain either. If this hits, I think we will have to scrap the whole trip. Weathermen are always wrong, but they won't be this time. Any suggestions?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter Storms Chicago

ginasmimi,

First off......Use kayak.com to troll for flights! I have used them for years and they are always acurate and contain the most varied flights that I have found.

That said, if you are concerned about departure being delayed, and making your connection, there is at least one (I didn't check for more) Early Bird (5:30AM or so) U.S. Air flight out of O' Hare with connections in Phoenix with at least a 3 hour layover in Phoenix. Around threefifty a person.

Hope this helps, but ya know, those guys at O "hare are pretty damned good at snow removal, and keeping things hopping!!

Keith

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,761 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter Storms Chicago

My friend got bumped and a day late on Continental last week...she just finally got her suitcases after 4 days...but also has next year's FREE ticket!! Wasn't weather...just overbooked!

chicago
Level Contributor
93 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter Storms Chicago

Thanks for advice. Can't really switch to another airlines at this point, as we are ticketed with CO and the fees and fares would be $$$. I wouldn't even mind if the flight took off late and bunking in Houston till Thurs., but all flights are booked till Sat. I don't understand why Apple and all airlines have cut flights to Ixtapa and Zih, it's not like it's not selling. Maybe the storm will miss us.

appleton wi
Level Contributor
604 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter Storms Chicago

happened to us a few year back on our way to Ixtapa we got out got to houston had to wait till next day as connecting was missed took an extra day on the other end and all was good... act of GOD is what they told us...did get a reduced rate in houston but alll in all in was ok just make sure you get to Chicago they did eventually fly. that day

appleton wi
Level Contributor
604 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter Storms Chicago

looking at the weather forecast you have the same thing we did the flight crew was in the air too long that is what caused us to leave late the next day but by wed am they will have o hare cleaned up so again be at that airport...you may miss your connecting but you will get to Ixtapa eventually

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter Storms Chicago

The worst of the weather is supposed to hit Tuesday and the weather advisories last through 4 a.m. Wednesday. So I think you'll get out of O'Hare just fine unless your plane from Continental can't get in here for some reason.

chicago
Level Contributor
93 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter Storms Chicago

Ain't look pretty for us getting to Ixtapa this year. Southwest has cancelled all flights in and out of Midway and O'Hare has cancelled 500 flights and counting. Suppose to get worse as day goes on with blowing and drifting overnight. All flights from Ord to Zih are filled till Sunday or they are horrific schedules,ie overnight stay in mexico city. I had to pick 2/10 departure!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter Storms Chicago

ginasmimi,

The snow has rotated out of the TwinCities about 6 hours ahead of it's predicted dumping, so take heart!

Have a Great Trip!

And come back to tell us your tale!!!

Keith

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter Storms Chicago

I hope this poster made it out of Chicago today! The weather this morning was clear and cold, no reason for planes not to fly.

Edited: 10 February 2010, 18:00
10. Re: Winter Storms Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa
Recent Conversations