We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

reserving chairs at pool

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
205 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
reserving chairs at pool

Many messages suggest getting to the pool early to reserve a chair. Last year my family stayed at Dreams in Cabo and the chairs were all taken by 9 am but empty for most of the time except mid-day. Is this really necessary? I was up early every morning but have an adversion to reserving a chair for the few hours I will actually use it-I can no longer take the heat and the sun. I ended up in a folding desk chair at the pool at Cabo until a fellow gave me one of his reserved chairs at which point I regretted not reserving a chair earlier. No one from his group ever came to use it while I was there. Am not trying to blame or question motives, but would like to perhaps raise consciousness on this issue. So many empty chairs that have been "reserved". Can't we just use it when we need it and move on? There actually might be enough chairs that way.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: reserving chairs at pool

This is a subject that has been brought up many times and is just the way it is at most resorts, some people were never taught how to share. For the most part we do not stay at resorts any longer. I stayed at Dreams when it was known as the Melia Los Cabos and it's a very nice resort but it was our last. There are many condos that you can rent and save all kinds of money and have a pool practically to yourself. Go to www.vrbo.com and look around. We stayed at the Mira Vista Condos last July and had a 1 bedroom condo with kitchen for $80 / night. We always rent a car so not having a bar or restaurant on sight is no problem plus you could walk to Zippers On The Beach from our condo. I would much rather grab a 75 cent beer from my frig than pay 5 dollars for a beer at Dreams or pay the all inclusive to eat the same booring food day after day. I guess my point is if you don't like putting up with other people bad habits, don't stay at a crowded resort. When my wife wants to spend a day at a swimup bar and pool side restaurant we go to the Solmar Hotel which will let us use their pool as long as we spend some money there.

los angeles
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: reserving chairs at pool

Here is your solution to the people who insist on holding chairs all day and sometimes never show up to use them .I will watch a set of chairs and if no one shows for an hour I will take whatever they are using on the chair , towel t shirt book etc and take it to the front desk for lost and found .If the people show up and wonder where there stuff is just tell them there was nothing there when you arrived.Resorts should take care of this problem but most do not so either you do or sit on the hot sand all day!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: reserving chairs at pool

My last trip to Ixtapa, I was getting very tired of getting awakened at 6:30AM by the Pool Ghouls. So what I finally did to amuse myself with the situation was to get a pad of post-its and wrote the following: "You woke me up dragging that damn lounger around, so I peed on your towel!"

It was quite the game by the afternoon! We sat around on the balcony taking bets as to which ones would actually do the Sniff Test!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
205 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: reserving chairs at pool

Thanks for some good and funny suggestions. I guess we are in the minority.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
187 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: reserving chairs at pool

Simoneg:

I love the idea of taking their stuff to the lost and found and then taking over the chair. This silly idea of waking up at 6:30 am to "reserve" a lounge chair is nonsense.

(I think I'll get up at 6:30 and put my towel on my favourite table at the restaurant and then no one can use it for the balance of the day. This way whenever I get a little peckish I always have my favourite spot to eat at!)

los angeles
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: reserving chairs at pool

People never cease to amaze me , the resorts are actually at fault here , some have put beach boys in charge of their beach chairs and do actually police the revservation system but most do not , last year I witnessed a couple reserve chairs at 07:00 from my balcony at 2 in the afternoon they showed up and took their towels and went to their rooms I guess they had been on a tour and decided not to use the chairs. Some people take a more direct approach and throw the towels or t shirts in the trash , I prefer the lost and found but as suggested here if you dont be at least a little agressive be prepared to be pushed around by the (I love this one) The Pool Ghouls!

One last thought if you are a pool ghoul I have noticed in the last several years that people have a tendency to throw stuff left on chairs into the bush trash etc so dont put anything on a chair you cant afford to lose .

Menomonie, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
784 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: reserving chairs at pool

That always irritates me too when people reserve their chairs and don't come back for hours. I must admit that I am a chair reserver. But I'll only do it if I'm going to use it very soon, like right after breakfast. Like I go down early, take a 1/2 hour walk on the beach, go to breakfast and then use my chair. I don't see anything wrong with that. Right?

seattle
Level Contributor
75 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: reserving chairs at pool

Why not let one of your fellow guests use the chair while you have your walk and breakfast and THEN go down and select a chair when you are really ready to use it?

I think it would be reasonable to leave the things on your chair while you a gone for a brief swim or step inside to pick up an item and be gone for a few minutes. A good guide would be "would it irritate you if you were on the other side of the behavior?" I commend you for asking the question.

Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa
Recent Conversations