We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What cities/towns in Mexico have swimmable beaches?

Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
What cities/towns in Mexico have swimmable beaches?

Hi. Looking to plan a vacation for this winter and am looking for a locale on the West Coast of MX with swimmable beaches. Was in PV last year and it was great, but we are looking for a new location to explore. Prefer local culture, good food , ecological outings to nightlife.

Thanks!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,686 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What cities/towns in Mexico have swimmable beaches?

Pick one.

They all do, someplace.

Just click on the TA Pacific Coast link.

Keith.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What cities/towns in Mexico have swimmable beaches?

Well, I meant right on the hotels/resorts. Not where you have to travel by bus for the day to get to the beach.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,686 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What cities/towns in Mexico have swimmable beaches?

Daveydoe,

Sorry if you think I was being snide, but really, all of them do!

All of the Pacific Coast of Mexico tourist destinations do. If one hotel does not, another will! Even Ixtapa, with it's direct to the ocean setting, depending on the weather and waves, is swim able (not for me, but plenty do).

You will just have to look at the amenities pages for hotels, to see if their beach is considered swim able. It's more about which hotel, than which destination.

About the only ones I am sure that are not, are the hotels on the strip between Cabo San Lucas and San Luis del Cabo up on the Baja Peninsula, and even there, a couple of them close to each end, say that they are.

Keith

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What cities/towns in Mexico have swimmable beaches?

Mendano beach in Cabo is fine most of the time. Although I grew up swimming in the ocean I avoided the beaches in San Jose Del Cabo like the plaigue. The waves come and curl up right on the sand and pull back out. There was no safe and easy way to get in or out when I was there. Ixtapa has been safe most of the time, but i have seen those same ugly waves at sunset in Ixtapa as well. They made for a scenic dinner on the beach but swimming there at the time would have been suicide.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,285 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What cities/towns in Mexico have swimmable beaches?

Tons!

Ixtapa (it can be rough/high surf though)

Zihuatanejo has 4 swimmable, calm beaches, lots of hotels

Huatulco has nine bays with 36 swimmable beaches. Playa Tangolunda, where the AI hotels are all located, is one of several that are good for swimming. We stayed in the Hotel Villas Coral, which is overlooking a rocky cove, but there is a lovely beach called Playa Arrocito 5 minutes walk away.

North of PV the small funky town of Sayulita has a swimmable beach where you can also surf and boogie board. Bucerias has a swimmable beach.

Barra de Navidad is a nice small resort town north of Manzanillo/south of PV that has a swimmable beach with surfing, and a back lagoon side too with more beach.

Manzanillo has several swimmable beaches....the Las Brisas and the Karmina both have lovely calm beaches.

The Blue Bay/Los Angeles Locos hotel is in Tenacatita bay north of Manzanillo-it has one of the THE most beautiful beaches we have seen in Mexico, period. Gorgeous! Shame the hotel is in sore need of a reno. But around the corner there is a gem of a hotel called 'Coconuts by the Sea'-google it.

La Manzanilla is a small resort town north of ZLO with a nice beach and a few non AI hotels.

hmmm...there are a few!

calgary
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What cities/towns in Mexico have swimmable beaches?

Almost all of the beach in Mazatlan's golden zone is swimmable. That is about three miles of beach if I am not mistaken.

Toronto
Level Contributor
153 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What cities/towns in Mexico have swimmable beaches?

Hey Daveydoe,

If you want to do something a bit different than a hotel, rent a villa in Sayulita. It is just North of PV, has an amazing beach, great restaurants and very friendly people. We used to stay at all inclusives but after our first trip to Sayulita we haven't gone anywhere else. We love it so much we just bought a house there.

Joe

8. Re: What cities/towns in Mexico have swimmable beaches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa
Recent Conversations