We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ixtapa Vacation?

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,595 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Ixtapa Vacation?

My family and I are considering a unit at the Amara and from what I've researched on the forum it seems to get great reviews. We've never been to Mexican Riveria before and have some questions.

What are the grocery stores like? Do they have US brands or is it all Mexican?

Are there restaurants which serve american cusine?

Do bars/restaurants serve american beer?

Don't get me wrong as we plan to eat the Mexican food but would also like some flavors from home.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ixtapa Vacation?

Lots of Hamburgers,steak houses, pizza & fried chicken available around Ixtapa/Zihua. Best milder food is of the sea variety.

Almost all products found in The Super Markets (Commercial Mexicana & Bodega in Zihua) carry familiar brands but made in Mexico.

Why would you what US Beer? But the answer is no.

There is one medium size grocery in Ixtapa but I have never shopped it. The ones in Zihua much better.

Edited: 16 August 2010, 16:30
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ixtapa Vacation?

Scruples in Ixtapa carries basics like water, snacks, yogurt and limited produce, it's all we've ever needed for a hotel stay but for cooking in a condo you'd probably want to shop in Zihua. The mercado is amazing just for a visit whether you buy anything or not.

People like the pizza at places like Frank's and Emilo's but I'd rather eat the local cuisine every night. One of the best places to eat in Ixtapa is Solieda (don't remember how to spell it), which offers some pasta dishes that are wonderful. It's near the Amara, across the street from the Park Royal. People like breakfast there, too. You might also wander next door to the Dorado Pacifico which has good food and great views from the restaurant.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,177 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ixtapa Vacation?

obsession57...Soleiado ...and It IS good!!

American beer?? YUCK!! Wait until you try some of the good Mexican beers, you will never want American beer again... So many good ones...you need to taste test them all.

So many restaurants you will need to stay for about 6 months to try them all. Rarely have I had a bad meal ever...

No need to buy too many groceries...you will end up eating out all the time anyway...just have some snacks and beverages in the condo...and enjoy the fine foods at all of the little restaurants.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
525 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ixtapa Vacation?

"People like the pizza at places like Frank's and Emilo's but I'd rather eat the local cuisine every night. "

Since Frank has been in Ixtapa for quite some time, wouldn't his restaurant be considered local cuisine? We ate there a few times & enjoyed the food & atmosphere a lot.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,177 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ixtapa Vacation?

I 100% agree with Obsession57 and her comment about eating local foods. Frank is not one of the locals...and ask any of the locals...he will never be considered one of them!

There are so many restaurants owned by "local" people from the area...where the money stays in the community and helps build the area...where the employees are treated well and where we all go to eat and enjoy the great food. Fun to try them out...in Zihuatanejo you could eat for 4 months and still have places left to try!

6. Re: Ixtapa Vacation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 August 2010, 14:35
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
525 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ixtapa Vacation?

Franks is a great "local" restaurant which serves all of the local cusiine.

8. Re: Ixtapa Vacation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2011, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa
Recent Conversations