We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dorado Pacifico Resort Brought Ma' own

Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
371 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Dorado Pacifico Resort Brought Ma' own

Hey all,

Just was wondering if anyone has stayed at the Dorado and brought a soft sided cooler to bring their own beers and drinks into the room/pool/beach area. I've read some reviews where hotel security has intercepted people in the lobby.

Any thoughts ?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,686 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dorado Pacifico Resort Brought Ma' own

I bring a soft sided cooler, but just to keep ice in the room.

Bringing your own stuff to the pool is a Nix, on the beach within their zone is a Nix, the rest of the beach they have no control over.

If bringing one's own is an issue, I usually recommend that folks look for a condo instead of a hotel. Then they can do all the shopping around that they care to.

Keith

Monument, Colorado
Level Contributor
752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dorado Pacifico Resort Brought Ma' own

Well, I'm not glad to read that answer! I'm making my frist visit to Dorado Pacifico the end of January and planned to have my own cooler of "liquids" to save cash. Thats just plain wrong!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,686 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dorado Pacifico Resort Brought Ma' own

Retemrap,

If you booked though MLT (like deltavacations.com or a travel agent) you are probably going to get the 15 dollar a day room credit.

Since the Dorado doesn't like to really stick it to their guests they have a lower markup, say 0.75 a beer. That is about 20 beers worth of markup a day.

If that is still too pricey by your budget, you can walk directly across the street and down the block to Beer Planet and knock them back for a buck a pop.

Keith

Monument, Colorado
Level Contributor
752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Dorado Pacifico Resort Brought Ma' own

Labrat- Good info! Yes, we do have the $15 credit per day. If beers are around a buck, it won't bother me one bit. I guess I was worried they would sock me for 2-3 bucks a beer.....which can add up fast x 2 people. Thanks for easing my mind!

Retemrap

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,720 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dorado Pacifico Resort Brought Ma' own

I didn't read Labrat's post to say that the beers at the Dorado were a buck...they are at the Beer Planet.

Staying in Zihua you can bring a cooler to the pool at your condo and drink cheap...but it isn't allowed in Ixtapa around the pools. DO NOT bring glass bottles ever to the pool. Nothing worse than broken glass around bare feet.

Should have taken a different hotel...the Posada Real has drinks included...would need to bring a cooler then!

6. Re: Dorado Pacifico Resort Brought Ma' own

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2010, 16:35
Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,686 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dorado Pacifico Resort Brought Ma' own

Retemrap,

lol, the glass around the pool thing is more about getting the broken glass IN the pool!

Clear glass in water?

Not a good thing to have to drain the entire pool during high season because some chuckle head breaks a SOL beer bottle in the pool.

The hotels, and especially the Dorado, are REALLY persnickety on how they keep up their pools! Every morning early, you can look down from your balcony and see the pool guy in the pool with a squeegee water sweeping the sand. Every Day! On weekends he is in there in the evening also!!

Keith

P.S. take it easy on the Zihuaphiles! Z is their passion like Ixtapa is mine! lol! I get hammered all the time for telling people that if they want an Open Ocean view that they have to book in Ixtapa!!!! roflmao!!!

Happy Happy and Merry Merry!

Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dorado Pacifico Resort Brought Ma' own

We have stayed in both Ixtapa & Z. Like them both. This is where I'll get hammered. The local hotel we stay at we also bring a soft sided cooler to the pool with beer and liquor. Never had a problem when we have done this. We usually order pop and beer always tipping!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
371 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dorado Pacifico Resort Brought Ma' own

Of course you don't bring bottles made of glass into the pool/beach area. I usually like to get 6 packs of Sol, get gobs of ice and make it so dangerously cold, you know like a cold beer after you cut the grass or play 18 holes in July.

As long as the price of beer is not an arm and a leg I can handle having the hotel be my source, but I have been known to be a little sneaky.....

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dorado Pacifico Resort Brought Ma' own

We ate all our meals away from the Dorado, but drank PLENTY. I remember the $15 a day covering everything. We did have drinks in our room and refilled the glasses from the pool a few times. Most ladies room breaks were in our rooms and we'd gather in our room for a pre-dinner cocktail or two.

We did all our stocking up during the day usually after breakfast so maybe security was focused on other things.

Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa
Recent Conversations