We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time Share Sharks?

Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary
Level Contributor
179 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Time Share Sharks?

Hi. I have been following the topics here for quite a while now and the one thing I really haven't seen anyone talking about are the Time Share Sharks. Are they in Ixtapa, or is this one of the few areas left where they haven't really landed yet?

We love going to Huatulco, where they just don't seem to exist. Went to PV in Sept and they were everywhere. Running the gauntlet at the Airport was something else. The wonderful folks on TA helped a lot but explaining exactly how to get through it without getting hassled too badly by them. What can we expect in Ixtapa?

Thanks to everyone.

Valparaiso, Indiana
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Time Share Sharks?

Time Share salespeople seem to be everywhere I want to be, whether it's Mexico or the United States. Ixtapa certainly has its share of them. My advice is very simple: Smile, shake your head, and keep on walking. And don't let it ruin your vacation to the coolest place on earth (IMHO).

rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
3,700 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time Share Sharks?

You would have to visit a Mexican resort where there are no timeshares for these folks to sell, yes they are pushy but there is so much money involved

it is kind of mind boggling.

One way to resist there onslaught is just remember that just the guys that get you to go to the presentation make over $100K a year, and in Mexico that ain't bad...

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time Share Sharks?

Re the Zihua airport: on our first visit, we went to the taxi stand to buy our voucher and the woman in the stand handed it over to a shark! Who proceeded to pull us aside, show us a map of the area and give us his talk. I was furious to say the least, finally demanded the voucher and off we went. I did not let that happen on our next trip.

They've never bothered us in Ixtapa and we stay at the Dorado which doesn't have timeshares.

Calgary
Level Contributor
179 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time Share Sharks?

Thank you to everyone for your responses.

We are staying at the Dorado as well, so I guess as long as we can make out of the airport we should be fine.

I do understand that they too are just trying to make a living, but after a while it does get tiresome of someone constantly "making their pitch." It's just not something I particularily care to have to deal with while on vacation. We got "taken" to one of their presentations in Mazatlan a long time ago and then a few years ago we got talked into one in Playa del Carmen. In my mind it was a waste of a perfectly good 1/2 day. So now we try to avoid them at all costs.

Thanks again everyone.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
268 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time Share Sharks?

Years ago I stayed at the villas at the Barcelo using a timeshare and they did not give me a remote for the TV. Instead I got a daily call informing me that I could get the remote if I swung by the timeshare office. Not sure I turned on the TV the whole time, and never did go to pick up the remote. Eventualty my wife told them to keep the remote (with a few other suggestions regarding what they could do with it) and the calls stopped.

By far not the worst timeshare story, but I still get a chuckle at that particular tactic.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,535 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time Share Sharks?

We've been to the area 4 times, first two in Ixtapa, last two in Zihua.

The only time we enountered timeshare peddlers were at the airport, and once while walking down the main drag in Ixtapa....never in Zihua proper.

We were just in PV area recently but stayed an hour north- bliss....only saw them at the airport there, too.

They are nowhere near as bad anywhere in Mexico as they are in Los Cabos....the ones we encountered there on our stay in Cabo San Lucas were horrendously pushy and aggressive. A main reason why we never returned there. I have heard similar horror stories about the ones in Mazatlan. Frankly enough to put me off going there too.

Dallas, Tx
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time Share Sharks?

As Rissask said, I've never seen one in Zihua and very few at the airport.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time Share Sharks?

I think it also makes a difference on when you are going. For example we went in December but it was a Tuesday - Tuesday trip and we didn't get approached at all in the Zihua airport and it was not busy whatsoever!

Mind you our Tour contact was front and center after exiting customs, but the "gauntlet" in the Zihua airport is only like 25-30 feet if you walk straight out from customs. I was pleasantly surprised with the Zihua airport in comparison to Los Cabos and Puerto Vallarta (and even St. Lucia when we were there).

Zihua was our best airport experience!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
515 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Time Share Sharks?

Didn't see any at the airport when we were there and none in Zihua either. But Ixtapa was over running with them & they can get quite pushy. I didn't mind the ones in the street booths because they are easy enough to just walk past & they didn't follow us. But the ones in the vans from the ParK Royal were very obnoxious. They would see you walking and they would jump out & do everything they could to get you to come over. We had this happen to us easily a dozen times over the week we were there.

minnesota
Level Contributor
146 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Time Share Sharks?

If you go out of your hotel to shop and walk down the blvd there are time share people every where. This is our 5th or 6th year. The first 2 there were barely any and they have multiplied many times since then. Just say no thank you. Or smile and shake your head no. I got mad once and screamed what part of no don't you understand and the van followed us all the way down the street. I was furious.

Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa
Recent Conversations