We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

****** non AI ******

Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
southern California
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
****** non AI ******

I'm not a big fan of AI's and pretty much had my mind made up that when we visit Ixtapa I wanted to stay at Dorado Pacifico. Well, I just read a TR saying it's going 100% AI by Nov. We want to visit in Dec. So my question is...what would be *your* next best non AI along that same beach.

Budget is not an issue at this point....plenty of time to save.

Thank you!

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ****** non AI ******

Any place in Zihuatanejo

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
453 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ****** non AI ******

We feel the same way about AI and have stayed at the Dorado several times over the years. El Palmar is a great beach with an open ocean. I think that the Krystal is both AI and non AI and is almost next to the Dorado. Next winter we plan to stay at the Bay View Grand, the Krystal or the Las Brisis....Probably the BVG.

We eat dinner in Zihuatanejo most evenings

I would not go in the water in the Zihuatanejo Bay period.

southern California
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ****** non AI ******

What is the reason you won't go in the ZIH bay? Is it because of that water run off that feeds into the bay?

Thanks for the other resort names.....that helps a lot!

Gurnee, Illinois
Level Contributor
425 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ****** non AI ******

I would stay at Las Brisas. We stay in the Beach Club which includes a good contintental breakfast and evening cocktails. Most places you book through like Costco will throw in $100 food and beverage credit plus airport transfers. We usually use the money to eat lunch on the beach at the hotel. At night we take a cab in to Zihuatanejo for dinner and culture.

southern California
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ****** non AI ******

Thanks MMouse.....that's great info!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
453 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ****** non AI ******

Yes.

The water in the bay is more enclosed and is not as well circulated as the open ocean and the relatively dense infrastructure around the bay is dated (ie old rusted drainage/sewer pipes) which has not kept up with the rapid expansion of the area since the mid 1970's.The recent upgrade of the treatment plant has probably been of some help but I believe that the basic problem is inherent to an enclosed bay surrounded by aging, densely populated area.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,768 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ****** non AI ******

CA-B,

About the only ones left that IMO are worth a consideration are Krystal, the Emporio, and Las Brisas.

Here is a quick thought!

If you are planning a trip in December, and you would like to try out the Dorado before the "change" you could contact AMresorts though their website and ask a question that I didn't think of when I did so. The reason for the AM contact instead of Sunscape is that I do not think they have a Sunscape staff in place to answer their email yet. I emailed both and only got a response from AMresorts.

info@amresorts.com

The question:

"If we book for December now, at the published rates, will our European Plan reservations be honored?"

The reason that I put this forth is that sites like Orbitz are running book early sales right now that are REALLY cheap for the hotel rates. Especially at the Dorado!!

Should you decide to go this route DO NOT forget that Orbitz also has a promo code running "100vacation" that will shave another $100 off the top!

Also remember to UNCHECK the transportation box when booking though them because a Taxi is about half the cost of their $58 charge.

Hope this helps!

Keith

P.S the water in the bay? that's a whole other pizzing match that I won't get into here other than to say that I disagree with the above. JMO

southern California
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ****** non AI ******

Keith....This info as been very helpful....Thank you for taking the time to give so many great details.

Sandy

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ****** non AI ******

Would you consider a condo rental over a resort? We usually do this as we have kids. Bay View Grand was awesome. We had this unit. It has it's own little pool and whirlpool tub outside, and is by the edge of the pool area. You step out of your private yard and you are poolside. It is very central in Ixtapa, and on the beach.

http://www.vrbo.com/110344

southern California
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ****** non AI ******

2Shorties, That's a great ground floor unit!....but, it's not available when I need it over Christmas. Thanks for the info.

Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa
Recent Conversations