We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What to do?

Ok, We finally chose to visit Ixtapa this year, PV will be next year. We booked the IXTAPA PRESIDENTE Hotel - Im crossing my fingers its all good. Ive read bad and good reviews.....As long as the weather is good, food is good and its clean :)

Does anyone advise to pre-purchase tickets for day trips/adventures either on-line, via my travel agent OR when I get to the airport or hotel?

My only issue would be I dont know the hotels entertainment schedule and I wouldnt want to miss anything b/c I pre-booked a tour that I couldnt change. I dont want to get ripped off by booking on-line either.

I remember tours being fairly expensive in Cancun unless you signed up for a timeshare meeting :) and then they were free. We wasted 2 sunny days last year in Cancun and will never do that again! Anyways...off topic....Is Ixtapa as bad for Mx. timeshare sales being shoved down yout throat?

Im going to do some major research on the web (but Im getting side tracked by ebay!) but Im wondering what great attractions I HAVE to see and cant miss. I love mountains, waterfalls, caves, hiking and scenic tours, seeing dolphins would be neat too.

Ok, enough questions for now. Thx in advance for any responses.

Williams Lake, BC...
Level Contributor
371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do?

I have been to Ixtapa twice and never required prebooking for any tours, EXCEPT deep sea fishing. If you want a good captain and a decent sized boat guaranteed, then you must get online/deposit. The official Ixtapa/Z website has several links to reputable firms.

Cheers!

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do?

Well if you go to Playa larga out by the Airport hanging at one of the cafés you most likely see lots of dolphins. For real Mountains,waterfalls take a couple of days busing to Uruapan & Patzcuaro. Wonderful National Park in Uruapan with waterfalls, rapids, water sculptures, with wonderful fauna & flora. Patzcuaro is a travelers delight with 2 plazas (actually more) great bargains & lots of archaeological sights in the area. Post back & I will go into detail.

As far as tours around Zihua/Ixtapa I have never taken one. Take the boat over to Las Gatas (30 pesos round trip) for a day of snorkeling & good eats at Otillas (SP?) next to last café on that beach. Also Ixtapa Isle for snorkeling. Trips to Barra de Potosi (91/2 mile beach with a native village, lagoon for kayaking etc), Troncones (miles of empty beaches, Mi Casa Su Casa is a great place to hang) & Petatlan (gold market) via buses are fun. Tons of stuff to do without a guide/tour!

San Rafael...
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
439 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do?

I wouldn't pre-book a tour. You will get a much better price, let's say if you're going to Las Gatas or Ixtapa Island, by going to the piers yourself and buying the tickets. The pier in Zih takes you to Las Gatas and the pier in Playa Linda takes you to Ixtapa Island, both of which are beautiful. Don't worry about missing the nightly entertainment at the Presidente because it is basically the same thing every night. They play games and then either karaeoke (sp) or dance. Although, during high season (which is when you are going) there is Mexican Fiesta night on Saturdays and Tuesdays and you do not want to miss that. What great food and fun. We did not do to much because once we got into Zih we just hung out and enjoyed the food, drink and weather and people watched all day long. Hope you have fun. Laurie

4. Re: What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 20:20
Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa
Recent Conversations