We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pres. Intercontinental

Canmore, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Pres. Intercontinental

I have been looking at this resort and wonder about pool view rooms. Do they all have a hammock on the balcony? What type of room would you recommend at this resort for a couple? (no kids coming this time!)

Also, is the beach area swimmable? My husband loves to body surf .

Thanks

San Rafael...
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
423 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pres. Intercontinental

Hi there - We just got back from the Presidente a couple of weeks ago. Not all pool view room have hammocks, so you would have to ask. The tower rooms are more quieter than the pool view but I thought we should have taken a pool view room instead of the tower because it is more convenient. You do get some ocean view with them also and they all have balconies or patios where as the tower room do not all have balconies. I'd go with the pool view. The beach is very swimmable. It was a blast. They put up colored flags as to let you know the danger of the surf and will call you back in if you go to far out. Great body surfing and boggey boarding. It was awesome. The water is so warm and the waves are huge. If you have any other questions, just let me know. Hope you have a great trip - you will love it there.

Laurie

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pres. Intercontinental

We just got back from the Presidente yesterday. What a great trip; my full review will be written shortly. Overall, It was great but I will mention a few things.

We stayed in 'the tower (ie: ocean view room) and were pleased. HUGE room, clean, bathroom was iffy but it is Mexico so I really dont think I can compare it to Canadian standards. Pillows were awful, bed was hard but I slept well. Our maid was excellent. Anyways....off topic....I asked for a balcony oceanview room but didnt get one - although their are patio doors on ALL the tower rooms and you can poke your toes out. In the tower you get Magnificant views of the hotel, beach - coast-line, pool and buildings.

We met a couple from AB who booked pool-room (knowing they would see pool and most likely ocean) but they ended up getting a small view of the pool and a dirty wall. They were so dissaappointed that they went back complained and upgraded to the tower with a balcony (which is basically the main building you see in all the pics) Be warned there are 3 rooms 'per balcony' so you can basically hop from your room to your 2 neighbors if you are so inclined. If you have loud party people next to you it would be a nightmare (unless you are out there on the deck with them!!)

They werent even upgraded for free (although the hotel was mostly empty) ; they had to pay an additional $50US per night during their week-long stay.

The first few days (Dec 4, 5, 6th) were so quiet and peaceful, hotel was only 26% booked. Then on the 7th the tour buses started coming in unloading passengers and it didnt stop (Busy season had started and it was obvious), by the time we left on Mon, Dec 11th it was getting packed and my husband (among many other couples) said its not the place to go if you want to get away from screaming kids. We noticed a lot of parents just letting their kids go wild around the resort (although they do have kid-camp and babysitting) I didnt notice it as much as I parked myself at the farthest end of the resort beach area and made sure I tipped my waiter to get drinks on a regular basis (as most of the kids tended to stay by the pool area) Lots of 'couples' with no kids though. A good mixture of both.

My only complaint is the food was sooooo repetitive that by the last few days I was almost turned off by the buffet and ate nothing but cheesecake and coffee. Always meat, pork, chicken, fish dishes with a semi-ok salad bar, lots of breads/rolls but its the same for lunch and dinner basically. Breakfast was the highlight with 'make your own omelette' and pancakes. Coffee was awesome and they dont give you cream unless you specifically ask (you'll get served coffeemate)

Oh yeah, In the tower one thing you can see (which you wouldnt get with garden or pool view) is a fantastic view of the actual town of Ixtapa with the restaurants, 2 fleamarkets, mountains, etc. in the background.

Overall I would recomend the hotel - Id book the tower room again at least from our experience - just incase I got booked by the pool with screaming kids and a view of a dirty wall :) . Currents are strong so be careful (My bikini bottoms came off me b/c of the current one day - how embarassing), my husband body-surfed every day for hours. GREAT place to do that anywhere along the Ixtapa beach. Having a bogi-board (?) would of been fun (you can get them in any gift store)

San Rafael...
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
423 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pres. Intercontinental

Pickle06 is right about the screaming kids. Everytime I swam up to the bar to get a seat if was full of kids. About three adults and the rest splashy-jumpy kids. The bartenders didn't seem to care and I had to weed by way throught them to get a drink while being splashed on and probably peed on. Also, if you do take a tower room ( spectacular view) and do get an actual balcony be aware that if you sit on the patio furniture you cannot see you awesome view anymore and have to stand to see it. Pickle06 is very right about the food.

Laurie

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pres. Intercontinental

We stayed in 'the tower (ie: ocean view room) and were pleased. HUGE room, clean, bathroom was iffy but it is Mexico so I really dont think I can compare it to Canadian standards.

Canadian Standards? I match the cleanliest of ny Banos after the maid Lupita cleans it with any "Canadian" bathroom in exsistance!

toronto
Level Contributor
95 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pres. Intercontinental

we stayed in the gardenview rooms and they were very very very noisy with the employees walking up and down the hallsways at 6in the morning talking , whistling , laughing. It was very annoying.

thank goodness some-one has confirmed the screaming kids, in my review and another post i was chastized for mentioning it.i'll say it again, i have travelled with my 3 children ( boys ) and they never , ever screamed. I would not allow it, laughing and splashing and having a good time is one thing but you would never find them crawling on the bar.

we have always taught them to be mindful of the people around you.

they are probably more of a pain as grown men now ! lol

There is no adult area in the pool !

We truly never had a bad meal at this hotel, and that's saying alot because we go for 2 weeks.

But the bad outweighed the good for our selection of hotels this year, even though it is $300. a person cheaper and there are 8 of us we would not return to this hotel

toronto
Level Contributor
95 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pres. Intercontinental

people must spend too much time in the bathroom !

as long as it has been cleaned i really could care less what it looked like.

and trust me as one who has to make very regular stops i have become somewhat of an expert.

the bellagio in vegas has the nicest washrooms anywhere !

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pres. Intercontinental

Let me rephrase my bathroom statement; there was nothing wrong although a lot of tiles were missing, toilet leaked really bad and the tub coating was crackling off of the tub so it was sort of grungy looking (I would of been so dissappointed if I had a been a bubble-bath tub person but Im not so I didnt really care) **Water pressure was awesome (that is what I look for)

Our maid was amazing and cleaned our room better then we even needed. Bathroom was clean just very old, outdated - compared to the rest of the room we had (and the resort) it just didnt seem to match up - although the toilet/bathtub was sep. from the sink/counter area which was really nice.

8. Re: Pres. Intercontinental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 02:19
Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa
Recent Conversations