We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving thru SLP

Which San Luis Potosi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis
Level Contributor
118 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Driving thru SLP

I will be driving through Mexico in a few weeks and it will include a long stretch of Hwy 57. I know there are occasional 'incidents' and would love to actually make it to one of my favorite places, Queretaro, the first day. If I do need to stop in SLP is best to do so in Matehuala or the capital?

Also, has 57 been "safe" in recent weeks? thanks!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving thru SLP

You don't say where you're coming from but Matehuala obviously comes first so see how you're doing by then and then decide. You shouldn't have any safety concerns on the highway in daylight - it's about the safest road from the border.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving thru SLP

I drove through SLP recently, and the only thing that scared me was the crumpled-into-a-ball state of a wrecked car we passed. I was a passenger as we went 150km/h and took the tight highway curves on the sidewalls.

Two pile-ups just on the drive from SLP to QRO. Careful!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
118 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving thru SLP

Thanks guys. I'll be coming from Nuevo Laredo.

I still say that car accidents are more of a probability than shootouts, fake roadblocks, carjackings, etc. I just like some positive notes. I read the news frequently and see how accidents can close down 57 frequently. That's why I can't get my hopes up to get to Querétaro on the first day.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving thru SLP

It's very difficult to get the whole way in a day. You will find yourself driving in the dark after having already driven 10+ hours - probably not advisable. (Then again I'm really old.....)

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving thru SLP

Echo the above. One of the big issues with many travelers to MX is trying to do or see too much in a short time. Take your time, don't hurry, be happy.

6. Re: Driving thru SLP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about San Luis Potosi
More San Luis Potosi Topics