We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

edss next Sunday

Anglesey
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
edss next Sunday

We are going to EDSS next Sunday and we are in a swim up room. can anybody tell me what it is like , how much to tip etc and perhaps what trips to go on. We are a couple in our mid fifties but we are quite young at heard.

regards

Dodo

Hiawatha, Kansas
Level Contributor
854 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: edss next Sunday

I wish I was in your place. I have been to EDSS three times and it is my favorite place on earth. We typically tip the bartendars every couple of times or so one or two dollars each time, the beach service people we tip a dollar for each delivery. At least five dollars a day for the maid a little extra for extras they do. Breakfast, lunch and dinner we will tip 5-10 dollars a meal.

The swimups are very nice especially if you happen to run into a little bit of rain.

Playa Del Carmen is a great trip if nothing else just to people watch. Lots of great excursions offered just pick and choose. Some great snorkeling onsite.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: edss next Sunday

My new wife (we get married Sat. the 12th) and I will be arriving Mon. the 14th and are booked into a swim up room for our honeymoon. We will be there for 2 weeks and plan to take some excursions but have no solid plans as yet. Does anyone want to try a larger group excursion? I propose a meeting over drinks ASAP!!

Will

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
424 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: edss next Sunday

I'm very jealous! I've been to EDSS the last 2 January's but just couldn't afford it this year. We tipped $1 for about every other drink, $3 at dinner and $2 a day for maid. I think everyone tips different, but we never felt pressured. I would recommend going into Playa Del Carmen and also the Tulum ruins if you have time. You can take the collectivo yourself to Tulum and don't need to purchase a package. There is also a beach just south of the ruins called Playa Paraiso that is absolutely beautiful. The beach at EDSS is nice but since it is in a bay, you don't really get the nice waves and it's a little rocky. If you want to see a picturesque beach, I would suggest spending an afternoon at Playa Paraiso. You can take a $5 taxi ride from the ruins.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: edss next Sunday

We actually started to pack last night but we are both unsure of the weather in Jan. Any suggestions Jessica?

Thanks for the info on that beach, I know we will do some travelling around and the collectivo's? seem cheap and easy.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
646 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: edss next Sunday

Dodo - we are there the 12th-19th. We're the incredibly pale ones, most likely with a green UofS Huskies hat or a green & yellow John Deere hat (although I REALLY hope that stays at home...)

We're going to go to Coba, Tulum, possibly Yal-ku or Akumal Bay for snorkeling, and maybe a catamaran trip. Also probably stop at a cenote after one of the ruins trips. We're planning to do the trips on our own (ie not a tour bus) except for the Catamaran trip. We're going to take the collectivo as much as possible and cab when we have to.

We are also now considering a 1/2 day (typically 4hrs) deep sea fishing excursion. I don't really like fishing but my boyfriend loves it and it would be kinda cool to catch a fish that's as big as me.

Will - Definetly meet up for drinks with you guys on Monday. Assuming that we all get along we may be interested in doing some joint excursions. That is if we're interested in any of the same stuff and we haven't already done it before you get there.

London
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: edss next Sunday

Hi everyone, we arrive next Saturday! so excited, will be lovely to meet you all! Xx

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
424 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: edss next Sunday

The temperature gets very warm during the day. Perfect for laying on the beach! Can even get a little hot when walking around Playa or Tulum. It does get cooler at night though. I usually had to wear a light sweater. The guys seemed to be ok in short sleeves, but the girls usually had some sort of light cover-up.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
646 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: edss next Sunday

Has anyone else become totally addicted to TA in their excitement about their trip being so close? I know I have, I don't seem to be able to go more than a few hours without seeing if there's a new review or interesting forum posts in any of the Yucatan forums. I wonder if I'll still be as addicted after the trip.

London
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: edss next Sunday

Ha ha. yes I have! not good xx

Edmonton
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: edss next Sunday

Checking this every couple of hours has got me through the last couple of months at work.....

9 days!!!!