We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety of belongings off resort

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
646 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Safety of belongings off resort

So just curious, but what do other people do with your wallets, backpacks etc when you go swimming at a cenote or beach that is not a resort? I am mostly interested in Yal-ku Lagoon, Akumal Beach and Gran Cenote but also interested in general tips. I think Yal-ku might have lockers but what about places that don't? Is my backpack safe while we snorkel? We're planning on taking the collectivo for most outings so we won't have the trunk of a car or tour bus or anything like that.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
759 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety of belongings off resort

Hi, We usually don't leave anything important anywhere. My husband has a bathing suit with a zipper pocket, so I put money, drivers license,etc. in a zip-loc bag or small waterproof container & he zips it in his pocket. We leave wallets & purse in safe in room.If you take beach towels or suntan lotion & it disappears it's not that big of a deal.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
646 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety of belongings off resort

My main concern is just for the bit of cash that we will need that day. 99% of my stuff will be back at the resort, locked up and I won't worry about it. I think my boyfriends swimsuit might have a pocket but I don't think it has a zipper so I'm not really keen on the idea of putting anything of value in his pockets. You're right that I wouldn't worry about suntan lotion or something like that, but I wouldn't be too impressed to find the pair of shorts I wore to the beach were gone. End of the world? no, but happy about it? definetly not.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
759 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety of belongings off resort

Totally agree with you there! They also little waterproof tubes you can hang around your neck. Just a suggestion!

Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
880 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety of belongings off resort

Ty&Terri,

Now that you are back- what did you end up doing?

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
646 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety of belongings off resort

Important things go in the safe and stay there. When we went off resort we took a backpack and put all our stuff in it. We took a combination lock in case any place we went had lockers, but none did. My boyfriend put the room card and credit cards and his money in a ziploc bag and put it in his swim trunks. We tried to find spots with lots of people around to put our backpack when we went swimming. At Yal-ku we put it out on a rock where no one else was so if we saw anyone there we knew they were going through our stuff. Basically just tried to take the least amount of stuff with us and were lucky that no one took the backpack. We would have lost at least 1 digital camera and a lot of pics if they had.

Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
880 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety of belongings off resort

Sounds like a safe way to do it. Thanks!

7. Re: Safety of belongings off resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 11:17
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Aventuras
Recent Conversations