We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Latest EDSS review ????

Ontario
Level Contributor
106 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Latest EDSS review ????

Cockroaches? What's up with that??

That will be me shrieking like a banshee all you other guests will hear the week of Mar 2 if I even see something that resembles a cockroach in my room. I am petrified of those nasty things.

I don't care about mould or wine lists or beach beds or odors but roaches will just flip me out.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
211 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Latest EDSS review ????

I didnt have any mold in my room. I was in the 3000 block on the 2nd floor (no bugs either). We had the air conditioner and ceiling fan running the whole trip and there wasn't any smell in the room. There was a nice breeze for my 5 days on the property and neither i nor my fiance smelled anything.

Maybe ask for a 2nd floor room in the newer blocks if you are worried about bugs and mold. The newer blocks are close to the "sludge fountain."

Ontario
Level Contributor
106 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Latest EDSS review ????

Hey there

Thanks for the little boost of re-assurance. We're booked into an ocean front.

I'm not bothered at all by creepy crawlies like spiders or any other insects..just roaches.

Have visited Mexico and several different resorts many times and never in 15 years have encountered a cockroach yet. Was quite surprised to read that in the review and wondered if that person even knows a cockroach from a garden beetle.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
335 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Latest EDSS review ????

we have been to EDSS winter and fall have not seen any bugs and had no mold in the room. we have been ground floor and third floor, swimup and not.I also have not seen the brown pool. Maybe alcohol plays into this but I know I was sober a little.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
646 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Latest EDSS review ????

There is a smell, but only behind the new blocks, near the one concierge station. As soon as you get in front of the buildings you can't smell it anymore. It seemed to be worst at buildings 37, 38 & 39, not sure if those rooms smelled but 35 and 41 didn't at all. The swim up bar by the "poo fountain" does not smell at all. Building 35 is the one right next to the fountain and we didn't smell anything.

We also didn't have any mould in either of our rooms. Didn't look in the drawers though. We were only there for a week so it's easier to just keep everything in the suitcase.

We also didn't have any bugs in either of our rooms. There was some black stuff that came out of the jacuzzi in 3512 when we turned on the jets and yes it was gross when the tub drained and all the black stuff was left behind. I've seen that here too though, especially when the jets don't get used often.

I say if waiting for room service breakfast is going to make you late for an excursion, then go to the breakfast buffet and eat quick so you're not late.

As for what happened at the end of the trip... yikes that is not good. I'd be pretty pissed if I were them, not sure I'd drop it until I got a refund. Perhaps they should have asked how much all these special things were going to cost, but the resort also should not make it seem that they are complementary.

Ontario
Level Contributor
106 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Latest EDSS review ????

I agree that what happened at the end of their trip was lousey but most people with some degree of common sense and a bit of "travel savy" know that things of that nature are usually not * on the house* nor included in your all inclusive package.

Ontario
Level Contributor
106 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Latest EDSS review ????

oh and by the way ... am actually looking forward to getting a glimpse of this famed.. "poo fountain", "brown pool", "sludge fountain" I think we'll get a good laugh from all the nick names it has aquired..LOL

Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
880 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Latest EDSS review ????

We have a swim up suite reserved. We are 22 days from arrival - is this a good time to request a certain block? If so it sounds like 40 or 41 are the ones to request - in regards to the PooPoo fountain? Not that we will spend much time in our room - but we will spend time on our pool side of the room. Looking at the map - the swamp must be on the other side of the building from the pool - is that correct?

Bugs and raccoons don't bother me. And I don't drink wine, eat fish or lobster... But we will be sure to ask the question of cost prior to ordering!!!!

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
646 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Latest EDSS review ????

I think this would be a good time to put your request in, just remember there's no guarantee. The mangrove is basically around the back of the resort. For the most part all you see is plants, in a few spots you can see that there is water back there too. Block 35 is right next to the fountain. You cannot smell anything in the pools so I don't think it matters which block you get, once you get in front of the buildings you don't smell anything. We spent a lot of time at both swim up bars and never smelled it at either. I guess you might smell it if the wind was going the right direction, but it usually goes from the water inland and so it takes the smell away from the pools not towards them.

Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
880 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Latest EDSS review ????

Thanks!

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Latest EDSS review ????

It is a shame that the lastest review had such a bad experience with the extra charges that were not expected. But really, they should not have assumed things would be complementary.

For future travelers to the EDSS some things to keep in mind....1) if you order a bottle of wine it will cost extra (even if you order house wine delivered to your room by room service), however if at lunch or dinner you can request that a restaurant open another bottle of the house wine if the other tastes off; 2) dinners anywhere but in the restaurant cost extra except for honeymoon and anniversary packages which must be pre-arranged; 3) lobster ALWAYS costs extra; 4)if you have food or drinks in your room, either eat or drink it pretty much right away or put it outside of your room (a bit down from your room so no other creatures visit) or you will get little visitors in your room (ants and other bugs - you are in the tropics and they love sweet things!).

Silver, hubby and I have been to the EDSS 7 times and have never seen cockroaches. Water and garden bettles, ants, bees, etc. - Yes. I think you will be just fine!