We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from The Cat!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
574 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned from The Cat!

Enjoyed a WONDERFUL stay at the Cat and will post a long review shortly. Please feel free to ask any questions!

St. Louis, MO.
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned from The Cat!

Jazzman,

Will be leaving for the CAT on 12 March, how crowded was the resort while you were there? Thanks...

Mike

New Jersey
Level Contributor
574 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned from The Cat!

Hi Mike:

The hotel was a bit crowded. Our room was a suite which is located on the Riviera Maya side, but we stayed at the pool at the Yucatan side. My husband is an early riser and was able to 'reserve' chairs at the pool. We did most of our dining at the buffet on the Yucatan side, as well. It is air conditioned (no smoking) and always seemed quieter and was far less crowded (therefore... no lines) We found the buffets good and the ala carte restaurants were good, as well. Tip: If you make your reservation at an earlier rather than later time, the service is quicker.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
217 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned from The Cat!

Jazz-Do both buffets serve the same things or are they different? Also, to catch a bus on 307, is there a train/tram or how do you get there? I heard it was about a mile...after a long day filled with fun activities might be a little far for us...Thanks, can't wait for your review..

New Jersey
Level Contributor
574 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned from The Cat!

Buffets served the same food. The Yucan one is air conditioned and no smoking much quieter and less crowded.

Not sure what you are asking about the bus . please clarify so i can answer.

Maya side had all the activies and was very crowded

If you get to the pool by 6:45 you can get good chairs after that pot luck.

Reserving for ala carte we got to the line at 7:45 and it opens at 8 to make reservations and we never had to wait more then 5 minutes.

Again if you get there later you are going to have longer lines

Making early dinner reservations @7:00 or 7:30 will get you faster service otherwise allow at least 1 1/2 hours for dinner

Pinetop, AZ
Level Contributor
361 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned from The Cat!

Koolbeans - no there is not a tram to take you to the hwy. If you're going to use the collectivos you'll need to hoof it up to and back from the hwy. May want to take the collectivos in the a.m. when refreshed and then catch a taxi back. Make certain you know taxi prices before you leave though.

Iowa
Level Contributor
440 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned from The Cat!

Our group used taxis a lot while we were there. $4.00 per person one way to Playa. We preferred that as they pick you up right at the CAT just go tell the bell boy you want a taxis and they are there within a couple of minutes :} Sunshine

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
217 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned from The Cat!

Great, I thought it was more like 15.00 each way via taxi....hope 4.00 huge difference.

Jazz-Sorry, I was so tired last night I know my post could clarify what I was talking bout, guess Wild knows when he sees my post that I leave out lots, LOL! Yeah, I was trying to ask about the trek up to 307....even though I am not huge on exercise, I definitely can do this it is just that if we are wiped out at the end of the day might just be tooooooo lazy.

Thanks everybody.....did I mention I can't wait??

LaSalle, Ontario
Level Contributor
306 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned from The Cat!

Honestly, I wouldn't walk to the highway for the Collectivo...not either way. It might be lovely to see the golf course, condos, etc...but it will likely be HOT, even in the early morning. I'd rather save my energy for the actual events of the day. If you really cared, you could likely cab it to the highway from the hotel, and do the same back. I've ridden the collectivos once before, and they were great. Cheap too.

Lehi, Utah
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned from The Cat!

Koolbeans, I think Sunshine meant 4.00 per person and they travel in a group. $15 each way sounda bout right, guess it depends on how many share the cost.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
217 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned from The Cat!

Oh, ok. Thank you for the clarification. Yeah, I was wondering about the heat, think the taxi will win :)

Thanks again!