We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catalonia Riviera Maya - Just back from the CAT

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Catalonia Riviera Maya - Just back from the CAT

Anyone got any questions feel free to email me - on a short note (whilst still recovering LOL)!, i had a fantastic holiday at this hotel and I can't imagine anyone being disappointed!

When I get a spare few minutes I will write a review.

Jo

England
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catalonia Riviera Maya - Just back from the CAT

Hi

Glad to hear that you had a great time.

Are you able to tell me what excursions are on offer.

Thanks

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catalonia Riviera Maya - Just back from the CAT

Hi, thanks for your message.

There were loads of trips on offer, from swimming with the dolphins (about 5 different ones at different prices), whale sharks, visits to ruins, day trips out on boats (fat cat), fishing, snorkelling, scuba diving.

When we arrived at the hotel and had our rep go through all the trips there were probably around 20!

There was also the pirate ship evening as well, to be honest we only swam with the dolphins and didnt do any of the trips, but from what people said the trips they did were really good.

Hope that helps.

Jo

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catalonia Riviera Maya - Just back from the CAT

Just returned on Saturday from the CAT and in our opinion you must visit Chichen Itza and Coba for the ruins. They are fairly long days but if you're into culture don't miss it.

Cheers

England
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catalonia Riviera Maya - Just back from the CAT

Thanks for the replies.

johealey - how much did it cost to swim with the dolphins?

x

UK
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Catalonia Riviera Maya - Just back from the CAT

Hi Jo,

My boyfriend and I will hopefully be staying at this hotel. Have read some good reviews about it, especially the location, close to a marina? Just wondering what you thought of the beach there? nice for swimming etc? Also the food? Any comments appretiated.

Thanks.

Burton, United...
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Catalonia Riviera Maya - Just back from the CAT

...The Marina is less than five minit walk from the cat..And you can sit and watch all that goes on around the marina the daulphins the manatiese sting rays and seals.....(And not pay a penny to see them)...

There are bars all the away around the marina to also sit at and see...

The beach is first class clear azure water...With a back water that is like a mill pond just down by the bridge you will see hundreds of sargent major fish and others in diferent verietys...There was also a morray ill in one of the tubes that i saw while snorkling there..The year befor last...Also saw giant travaly baracuda parrot fish all near to the rocks..to the left of the beach is some sea grass ware the five foot or so baracuda was...you will also see bonito come in close in after the small fry around the beach area from time to time...

Food....could not go wrong with what they have on offer...always some thing diferent..

We have also booked to go back to the Cat next year in June......

darlington
Level Contributor
366 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Catalonia Riviera Maya - Just back from the CAT

going to cat next june read a few reviews about upgradeing room what does it cost what do you get we are a couple only would like a seaview also with outside hot tub what do i request who to when and what will it cost ?

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Catalonia Riviera Maya - Just back from the CAT

Hi

Sorry for the delay in replying, I do not seem to be receiving notifications!

Sharon - re the dolphins. The one where you sit on a boogie board and do not get in the water with the dolphins was around 59USD, the next price up is 149USD which is the all in one where you have the foot push, kiss, drag etc etc etc., there is also another one which is 199USD but this includes sea lions as well.

HOWEVER, if you are travelling from the UK, our tour rep DID NOT tell us about another dolphin trip which was 99USD. The difference between this one and the one for 149USD is you didnt get the push out of the water by the dolphins that makes you stand up. We had the cheaper one of the two and we had a great time and it was defintely worth the money.

Hope that helps.

Cairoli222 - yes the hotel is close to the marina, say 15 min walk or 5-10 mins on the bikes which you can hire from the hotel. Its beautiful down there, full of big boats and the dolphin area is fantastic, its massive and just full of dolphins and sea lions.

The beach at the hotel is narrow in parts but there is plenty of room to sunbathe. Go careful getting into the sea though as along the main part its all stones so if you are bare foot it will hurt. However, down the end near the lagoon there is a section which has no stones and easy to get in and out of the sea.

The sea is beautiful and warm, clear blue and green in some places, absolutely stunning in my view.

I also found that by mid afternoon the swimming pool was like a hot bath, it was really weird expecting to cool off and get it and it was really hot! The sea was like that at times too.

Some people seem to have issues with the food, I certainly didnt. Yes there were days when I didnt fancy anything but that's because I am a fussy eater and I like to know what I am eating. I never went without a meal and there is loads to choose from and so what if some of its repetitive, don't you get that anywhere you go!

Hope all this helps.

Jo

england
Level Contributor
63 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Catalonia Riviera Maya - Just back from the CAT

Glad to read your reviews, we booked today for Jan4th 2 weeks and to be honest, some of the food reviews were beginning to worry me.

I am presuming that it is like anywhere you go, be sensible about what you eat?

Can you tell me what the rooms were like and who did book through?

Many thanks

Tanya

London, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Catalonia Riviera Maya - Just back from the CAT

I agree with OP, the Cat is a great place, and we had a nice time. I don't think there is anything wrong with the food content, and the alacartes were superb. I do (and am not alone, have problems with the food hygiene) There is a thread about it. I and quite a few others ended up being very ill. A sample I took to the doctors on the afternoon of returning was found to have blood in it and a food poisoning bug! This was sadly because they do not wear gloves at all when handling, preparing food. It is such a shame as everything else in my opinion was marvellous, but lots of people having tummy bugs is not good!