We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How bad are the transfers from Cancun to Barcelo Palace?

MI
Level Contributor
137 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
How bad are the transfers from Cancun to Barcelo Palace?

Trying to decide whether to use air transfers included in our trip or rent a car instead. My biggest fear is that an airport transfer will take hours to get to the resort. We are a family of 5 and we only have 4 nights this vacation so I would be willing to pay extra to rent if the transfers take 3 or more hours to get to Barcelo.

Enid, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
150 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How bad are the transfers from Cancun to Barcelo Palace?

Hi...

We're getting ready to make trip #9 to the Barcelo next month. A straight-shot trip to the resort will be about an hour and 15 minutes. Depending on if your transfer makes other stops, it could take as long as 2, but I've never experienced a 3 hour transfer. If your travel company offers a private transfer like ours does, (Worryfree Vacations) that would be easier than renting a car in my opinion. Have a great vacation!

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,792 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How bad are the transfers from Cancun to Barcelo Palace?

Your best bet is to upgrade to private transfers!

Wayzata
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How bad are the transfers from Cancun to Barcelo Palace?

I agree about the advice of a private transfer. Life is too short to spend on a bus, especially wqhen you have an abbreviated vacation. We love AGI

www.agitours.com. That might be more economical than going with an operatore that offers per person transfer upgrades. We stay at the Palladium which is near the Barcelo. Just about an hour direct. First time we went and used included tranfer it was 2.5 hours. Expect at least the same going back.

minneapolis, mn
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Grand Marais
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How bad are the transfers from Cancun to Barcelo Palace?

Try Cancun valet. We've used them several times and they've been the best of many services we've tried. They charge a flat rate of $135 per van for a 10 passenger van/private transfer. So, you'll pay $135, round trip, for a direct transfer for all five of you to the barcelo. For a group like yours the per van charge is a much better deal than I've seen elsewhere. They also have very new vans, and have always been early to pick us up...even for the 5:00 am return we had on our last trip!

GLC
arlington, texas
Level Contributor
209 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How bad are the transfers from Cancun to Barcelo Palace?

We always pay for a "non-stop transfer" to Barcelo at $22 more per person and well worth it as it only takes about 1 hour and 15 min to get to the resort, no stops. We don't mind riding with others (it's kinda fun hearing about their resort when we leave) but we are the first stop to and the last stop from. The transfers are always included in the package deals but the $22 is extra per person.

MI
Level Contributor
137 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How bad are the transfers from Cancun to Barcelo Palace?

GLC, how is the nonstop different from private transfer? We are doing world travel package and they want to charge $45 pp for an upgrade to private so this will be $225! Thats why I was thinking maybe it would be cheaper to rent a car.

Naturguy,how to I contact cancun valet?

Thanks everyone for your help.

minneapolis, mn
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Grand Marais
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How bad are the transfers from Cancun to Barcelo Palace?

they have a website..cancunvalet dot com

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
309 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How bad are the transfers from Cancun to Barcelo Palace?

I've taken a private transfer to the Barcelo and a non-stop transfer to the Palladium, and they are two different types of transfers.

In a private transfer, you report to the tour guy/gal and they put you in a van and take you to your hotel. On the way back, the transfer is scheduled according to your departure flight.

In a non-stop transfer, you report to the tour guy/gal who puts you in a van with folks going south from you. You may have to wait a little for the van to fill up with folks going farther than you and who have not paid for a non-stop transfer. On the return, you will be placed in a van with folks coming from a resort further south, so you may be picked up a little earlier. For example, we were picked up at the Palladium 5 hours before our flight and arrived at the airport 3.5 hours before. The people that were coming from further south had an earlier flight.

I would not rent a car to transfer from the airport, unless you plan on doing some tours on your own. I don't think you'll save that much time. There's always time wasted in filling out the paperwork, inspecting the car, filling gas, returning it, etc. I do recommend, as others have said, to check out private transfer companies like AGI Tours and Cancun Valet.

MI
Level Contributor
137 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How bad are the transfers from Cancun to Barcelo Palace?

mrvinotinto, thanks that was very helpful. I don't think I would find a rental car for $225 that would fit 5 of us/luggage anyway. We'll just pay the $225 to upgrade to private. Thanks everyone!

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How bad are the transfers from Cancun to Barcelo Palace?

luvmxmi-

have you checked the prices at AGI Tours????

we've used them twice in the past and are using them again next month- $130 US return from airport to Barcelo for 3 of us .....they have always picked us up in a van - large enough for 5 people....you should email Javier for a price....could be less than $225....

cheers!