We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Departure Tax leaving Mexico?

maryland
Level Contributor
204 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Departure Tax leaving Mexico?

Does anyone know about a departure tax when leaving Mexico? One person wrote in it was $150.00. That's crazy! Is it true? I know in Punta Cana there is a 10.00 tax when you enter but at least that's reasonable.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
215 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Departure Tax leaving Mexico?

I believe for travelers from the U.S.the departure tax is included in your airfare(among many other taxes and fees). We have never had to pay a separate departure tax when returning from Mexico.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
215 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Departure Tax leaving Mexico?

Hmm not sure why it decided to make that a link.

maryland
Level Contributor
204 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Departure Tax leaving Mexico?

Ok thanks.... I thought that was at bit odd.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,791 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Departure Tax leaving Mexico?

If you purchased your ticket or your package tour in the United States, and you are departing and returning to a U.S. airport whether via charter or scheduled air, the $11.50 Mexican departure fee was already included in the price you paid. (You also already paid for other such items like taxes, facility fees, customs & immigration service fees, etc.).

Happy Travels!

Waterloo, ON, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Departure Tax leaving Mexico?

What if you're Canadian?

Toronto
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Departure Tax leaving Mexico?

For people from Canada there is no fee to leave the Mexico, the tax is in your ticket. Which is nice so you don't have to worry about it, since in Canada (I am in Toronto) we already pay to much tax anyway. Just enjoy the light system on the way into Mexico, and hope you get a green light.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,791 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Departure Tax leaving Mexico?

Canadian travelers should check their tickets or ask the issuer to determine if their Mexican airport departure fee was pre-collected, as some local charter tour operators do not include this tax!

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
254 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Departure Tax leaving Mexico?

The Mexican departure taxes are included in tours from Canada.

Bluffton, South...
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Departure Tax leaving Mexico?

If you look really close you'll find the taxes listed in small print on your airline ticket.

Milford Michigan
Level Contributor
821 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Departure Tax leaving Mexico?

We have never had to pay a departure fee at any of the resorts in the Caribbean and Mexico EXCEPT for Antigua. EVERYONE in the airport in Antigua was SHOCKED to have to pay this mandatory fee as it was supposed to be included (taxes, fees, etc). I think it was $ 60. Thankfully, we had cash with us as they did not accept credit cards!!!

I know this is pertinent to your question, but, it reminded me of our experience in Antigua.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Aventuras