We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EDSS advice please!

Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,525 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
EDSS advice please!

Hi all,

My partner and I are currently booked at the Azul Sensatori. However, I'm not 100% happy with some of the comments re poor workmanship, as it's costing us a fair amount, so have picked EDSS as a second choice. I'm just hoping someone who knows the resort will be able to answer a few questions for me.

1) What are the pools like? They look a bit plain and small in photos I've seen. Are they nice, and are loungers and shady spots plentiful? Also, some pictures make it look as if the swim-up bar is in the middle of nowhere; is it easily accessible? (I like to be able to flop off my loungers into the pool to get a drink)

2) What's the food and drink like? My partner is a fussy eater who likes plain, simple food: is it really fancy, gourmet cuisine at all restaurants, or are there simpler options? (like pizza, pasta, chicken etc) Also, are there any buffet options? And are there any snack-type places to go for lunch (I'd like to be able to grab a quick sandwich rather than have to sit down for a proper meal)? Is there a good range of international branded drinks (esp vodka and gins)? What's the beer they serve? And is sparkling wine included as part of the AI package? What are the house wines like?

3) Is it within striking distance of a town where we can eat out/shop/wander around? (don't mind a 10 minute cab ride)

4) What's the snorkeling like? Can you snorkel off the beach? Are there any local dive shops who will take you out to the reef?

5) Are the rooms a good standard? We were attracted to the Sensatori by the ultra-modern rooms and the facilities they have, such as plasma TV, DVD player, and i-pod docking station: do the rooms at EDSS have these facilities? Are the bathrooms nice and modern? (really don't want moldy tiles, rubbish showers or anything like that)

6) Is room service any good? (menu choices, is it brought to you with proper cutlery, china etc)

I know that's A LOT of questions, but would really appreciate any responses to any of them. I'm busy trawling through reviews but can't find all the answers I need, so any help would really help me make a decision.

Thank you :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,525 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EDSS advice please!

Anyone?.. Food is my biggest concern ATM, so even if someone could just tell me if there are some simple options that would be great!

Ontario
Level Contributor
39 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: EDSS advice please!

Here you go, I hope it helps. We stayed at EDSS Jan 31 to Feb 7 and absolutely loved it. I'll try to answer your questions in order.

1) Two pools, one at each end of the resort. One has a swim up bar while the other one has a bar at the end but you have to get out of the water. The swim up one is on the bigger pool although neither is really huge if that is your sort of thing. There are also a number of swim up suites along a lazy river which has a pool at mid point with another swim up bar. This is the mid point of the resort as well so all pools are easily accessable. Anyone can use this pool/bar but they ask that only those in the swim up suites use the lazy river itself. There are lots of loungers at the pools and on the beach along with plenty of shady areas as well. Shade is provided by trees or cabanas.

2)Food and drink is fabulous.The more basic food is at the Sandwicherie (can't remember proper spelling)

but it all comes presented in a stylish way. The Vida Garden Grill would be the next basic one. Dinners are all fancy in presentation. Look at the menues for each and I am sure you will find what you are looking for. If not just tell your waiter if you want to adjust a certain menu item and they will go out of their way to accommodate you. There are occassional buffets at a couple of restaurants but nothing full time. As for alcohol pretty much everything is premium unlike alot of all inclusives so you won't be disappointed. Wine by the glass is included and tastes good but if you want a bottle from the wine list, it will be extra $. Not sure what kind of beer (cerveza)they serve but it kept me happy and I love my beer !

3) The best shopping would be at Playa del Carmen on "5th Avenue" about 20 minutes away. We never got there but I believe the hotel has a shuttle for this.

4) Snorkeling off the beach near the reef is good. There is a water sports shop on the beach that can set you up for a variety of excursions including diving. My wife did a dive for $115.00 US which was about a half day with two dives. Ask for Willy, he is very helpful.

5)The rooms are fantastic. Very modern,four poster beds, in room jacuzzi and a shower big enough for 2 or 3 people. All very clean. Not sure about the I-pod docking station.

6) Room service is good and comes with all the proper utensils etc. The menu is a good variety and has a number of basic items.

Bottom line, this is a 5 star resort with staff that bend over backwards to make you happy. It only has 280 suites so it is not like some of the larger all inclusive resorts. You can be busy or you can relax. It's all up to you and you won't feel out of place no matter what you choose.

I hope this helps. If you want to ask me anything else just PM me.

Dave.

Hiawatha, Kansas
Level Contributor
854 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EDSS advice please!

Definatley agree with the previous poster, we have booked our 4th trip there in 3 years. The food can be a bit fancy but just ask for no sause and they will gladly accomadate you. One night all I wanted was a baked potato and they said no problem and they served it with a very nicely decorated plate. We really love the laid back chill feeling that the resort has. The staff is super accomadating and will do everything they can to make your stay everything you want it to be.

I don't think the rooms have IPOD docking stations unless that is a recent upgrade. Love the bathrooms they are very big and clean. Super large shower and double sinks seperate area for the toliet. The jacuzzi is not in the bathroom it is in the living room area that has a nice view outside if you choose, if not shut the curtains.

We have always enjoyed room service very quick, effiecient, and very good food. A nice variety of food my favorite being the club sandwhich, also great breakfast!

The pools are small but not crowded at all.

My husband and I typically do a couple of trips into Playa for shopping, dining and people watching.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: EDSS advice please!

London, we dumped the Azul Sensatori a few months ago due to the bad reviews, bad beach and generally the way they treat people when things go wrong.

The reviews are getting better; but the EDSS does not appear to get any bad reviews and it more established. Also, I have noticed that First Choice have now upgraded it to a Premier Hotel like the Azul Sensatori in the next brochure.

That to me says it all and thats why we changed to go there. I have had friends who have stayed there and they have raved about the place especially the food. I have heard that the beach has no seaweed (unlike the Azul Sensatori) and is great and snorkling however, you have to walk a few minutes to an areas where you can swim. That does not bother me. The seaweed has gone!

We fly out to the EDSS on March 30th and I cant wait and am not a bit worried. If I was still going to the Azul Sensatori, I would be bricking it!

Good Luck!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,525 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: EDSS advice please!

Thanks so much everyone! It's really been a great help.

So confused atm. Personally, I would probably switch quite happily today having just read your responses; I like the fact it's nice and quiet and romantic, and although I'm not a massive beach person, I'm a keen snorkeler so that's a big selling point for me. The service etc also sounds fantastic: I love that you can just ask for what you want at the restaurants and they'll cater to you!

My concerns with the Sensatori atm are the fact it isn't well-established, so I doubt that service is going to be on a par with EDSS (can't see them cooking to order for eg when they're still finding their feet); don't like the fact that there's already missing pool tiles, cracks etc, because I can only see this getting worse by June; and recently there's been reports of rowdy guests. I've also never been 100% happy with the fat it isn't adult's only.

But my partner thinks the Sensatori is looking up and wants to stick at the moment. I just think it's a gamble; at least with EDSS we know it's definitely going to be great, with the Sensatori, yeah, it might have improved; equally, it might not, and it could be a very expensive, needless mistake...

Anyhow, sorry for rambling on, and thanks again for your responses, I'll show them to my partner this evening and see what he thinks!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
827 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: EDSS advice please!

lodon86. good luck with your choice. Sensatori does look beautiful! I'm heading back to EDSS and also agree with everything written above.

The snorkeling at EDSS is really good. As soon as you enter the water up to your knees, fish are all around you, waiting for breadcrumbs/bananas. It was one of our favourite things about the place. That and the gorgeous room. And that incredible shower.

Have fun whatever you decide, Karisma seems to be wonderful at what they do!

-Surf:0

TEXAS
Level Contributor
99 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: EDSS advice please!

We are going to EDSS is June, very excited.

So is room service part of the AI or do you have to pay extra for it?

Thanks!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
827 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: EDSS advice please!

Room service is 24 hours...and included!

How wonderful is that??

-Surf:)

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: EDSS advice please!

Hi London86

Myself and my fiancee went to EDSS last June for 2 weeks and it was fantastic. We have visited Mexico 8 times and this was definately the best hotel.

The food is excellent and I did not have 1 bad meal. If your partner is fussy, just ask for an alternative off the menu and I am sure they will be happy to accomodate.

The Sandwicherie is great in the day - you can get pizza, burgers, sandwiches etc and the service is pretty quick so you can get back to enjoying the sun!

We are off to the Azul Sensatori in May and did have our doubts and are sticking with it, but I would prefer it to be adults only like the EDSS, that was great but we are getting married in Mexico next year and can't get married at EDSS due to children coming so though we would check out the Sensatori to see what it is like.

The only down side of the EDSS is the location. On one hand I loved the fact it was nice and quiet, but it was 2 long hours on a coach from Cancun airport which was a bit much after a 10 hour flight.

You can get a taxi from EDSS to Playa del Carmen for approx 20 dollars and it takes about 30 mins.

The room service is good with a fair few choices. It had things like pasta, burgers, sandwiches, chips etc.

The rooms were great at the EDSS but I do think they look more modern at the Sensatori. The EDSS rooms all have 4 poster beds, flat screen TV, hot tub etc.

We stayed in a swim up room which was lovely, didn't spend much time there in the day because we are big beach lovers but it was nice to relax there late pm.

If you have any other questions drop me a message and I will see if I can help.

10. Re: EDSS advice please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 11:19
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Aventuras