We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why Travelers Get Upset When They Don't Get The King Bed?

Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Why Travelers Get Upset When They Don't Get The King Bed?

Hola fellow travelers....

I have been meaning to discuss this topic for a while now.

When I read reviews, people often mention being upset that they did not receive the king bed they requested. I am not judging here. I have realized why people would be upset about this.

I book a lot of moderately priced hotels during the year. When you book via the internet, some of the various sites...Comfort Inn's, Best Westerns, Hampton Inns, the different kinds of rooms are listed. I always click on a king bed, smoking room. When I am booking this room, it is a guarantee. That room is now mine and it is taken. I have a confirmation number for the same. I know when I arrive, my king bed, smoking room is available.....99% of the time.

When you book in Punta Cana or Mexican resorts, at least those I have booked with, your request is not a guarantee. Room assignments are given usually the night before check in. Now, if people are unaware of this situation, then of course when they arrive and do not receive it, naturally they would be upset.

Makes sense to me. Anyone else have a thought on this topic???

Prize :)

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
827 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why Travelers Get Upset When They Don't Get The King Bed?

Hi Prize...

I totally blame that on the travel agents. But I have never booked over the internet, so I'm not sure what the options are for that.

I know my travel agent tells me that asking for a king size bed is a request. We can only hope that it will be granted. I always ask for one, and also the top floor. So far, my requests has been granted.

However, if I got there and got a room on the ground floor with 2 double beds, I would not complain. Ya rolls the dice, ya takes your chances. I would however, ask kindly if I could be moved first chance. Whether it happened or not, no biggie, really.

I think some travel agents might say " Oh yes, no problem" and leave it at that. The client assumes that is what they get and then become very unhappy when they don't get it.

As my dear old Uncle loves to say "Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you"

-Surf:)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why Travelers Get Upset When They Don't Get The King Bed?

Even the travel agent cannot guarantee it. LOLOL It's that request word..... def confusing to those who are used to just booking a king in the States.

So far, every trip, my requests have been granted, so I don't know if I would be upset. I don't think so though....have doubles could be nice with a room on A/C sensors. : )

Prize

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
827 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why Travelers Get Upset When They Don't Get The King Bed?

Perhaps sleeping alone could be part of the "vacation"!

-Surf:)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
750 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why Travelers Get Upset When They Don't Get The King Bed?

JMO...I would rather sleep on a double bed in Mexico than a kingsized bed @ home!!! People need to chill.

I'm on vacation...don't mind a hard bed either...it's where you are!

Burkburnett
Level Contributor
274 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why Travelers Get Upset When They Don't Get The King Bed?

One bed for festivities and one for sleeping thats how we handle it!

Ewing, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why Travelers Get Upset When They Don't Get The King Bed?

Cozumelcrazy, you could not have said it any better!!! A couple years ago in Cancun, we were told that, yes, your room is oceanfront, but you have two doubles. My wife looks at me, I look at her and we're like OK!!! Thats Fine!!! Festivities....I Love It!!!! When you need to be in the same bed together, you are!!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Why Travelers Get Upset When They Don't Get The King Bed?

It also depends on how long you have been married. My hubby and I have been married 31+ years and have travelled around the world. At home we have a king sized bed and are very spoiled. Even in 5 star resorts we have ended up with 2 beds. We enjoy spreading out over the 2 beds. If the mood hits, one of us just moves to the other bed! You are on vacation, so just enjoy!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why Travelers Get Upset When They Don't Get The King Bed?

A king bed is not what you want when traveling with:

Snorers, movers, morning/night people, kids, family or a large person or a just plain independant bed person. That leaves a much smaller percentage of renters.

One of my pet peeves is the lack of two double beds in hotels. Someone decided a king was: easier to change than TWO beds, to sweep/mop around or under - 3 edges vs. 6, and romantic. I agree with these reasons but this also shortens the number of hotels that fit the two bed availablity.

Bluffton, South...
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Why Travelers Get Upset When They Don't Get The King Bed?

I was really ticked off when they honored my request and gave me a king size bed. What I wasn't told was it was a King Tut king who was only 5'5". My toes didn't see covers for a week.

Lawrence
Level Contributor
197 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why Travelers Get Upset When They Don't Get The King Bed?

Oh prize, I can always count on getting a good morning laugh from any thread you start...LOL. I'm with whoever said, "I'd rather sleep on a double in Mexico than a king at home." In our past travels we have always taken the kids, both under 10, and the doubles have worked fine for us. Frankly I'd be happy to sleep on the ground as long as I'm in the tropics! Ok, well I'd need at least a sleeping bag...LOL!