We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

honeymoon at catalonia riviera maya-will everything be close

suffolk
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
honeymoon at catalonia riviera maya-will everything be close

we have a honeymoon booked for 16th july to the catalonia riviera maya (sorry for any spelling mistakes!) and we really dont know weather to go or not. we are not worried about the swine flu, but we are concerned that either the hotel will not be fully open, or the surrounding areas (the main area in puerto aventuras, and play del carmen) might have most things closed. although we are going all inc. we still really want to be able to go exploring and go to other bars/restaurants. On the flip side, I guess it might be nice and quite, and we might get a better room! We are considering actually cancelling out holiday, as we have to pay the remainder tomorrow, as we would loose our money if we want to change at a later date, but then just booking the same place again closer to the time, as prices might actually come down. its a bit of guess work at the moment, but if anyone knows if it is business as usual there, and if it wont all be shut down, then please let us know. any advice welcome! thanks.

LM by Inmense
LM by Inmense
#2 of 17 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
uk
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: honeymoon at catalonia riviera maya-will everything be close

I think by july you will be fine, I would not cancel this -the cat is one of the best hotels I have been in, Its not too big (I'm not a fan of mega resorts) and is in one of the few places in the riviera where you can walk to a town (well marina/man made village). We also loved the relaxed feel of the place you could dress up/down as much as you wished at night, The resturants were all quite good and the buffet was great (and I usualy hate buffets and would never usualy eat at them). We are trying to get back there this oct with our kids (last oct was a kid fee 40th birthday treat, but my girls would love it here), but the prices have risen £1330 (for 4) since this happened- why i have no idea.So donot expect to cancle then be able to book cheeper Also form this hotel you can take the local bus to tulum to see ruins/beach and Akumal to swim with trutles (30 min walk to bus each end). There is also a free bus to play del carmen The only thing not going for the cat is the beach, as it was qite rocky also hen we were there it was quite windy so the sea was to murky for snorkeling, but great for sailing/windsurfing.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
875 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: honeymoon at catalonia riviera maya-will everything be close

sullfolkcameragirl: Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials! From everything that I've been reading, Mexico is opening everything back up and they are trying to get things back to normal. As far as the Cat goes, read this post by BC_IT_Guy:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g153510-i166-k2760…

Right now, they have closed half of the resort, but all of the amenities, resturants, etc., are still up and running, and recent reviews have been very positive. It is impossible to predict what will happen in July, but I would hope that by that time everything will be back to 'normal' for that time of year. If it were me, I would definitely not cancel my plans. Even if the resort is still operating in the mode they are now, it seems like the people who have been there very recently did not feel that their stay was adversely affected. So, go!!! (and have a great honeymoon!).

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Mission, BC, Canada
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Mission, Abbotsford
Level Contributor
5,185 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: honeymoon at catalonia riviera maya-will everything be close

Hola SFCG,

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

Just to reiterate what the others have said; unless you want nice HOT weather, warm Caribbean turquoise blue waters, excellent service, good food, & nice cold tropical drinks, then I would definitely cancel.

Who wants crowds for their honeymoon BTW?

Oh & be sure to let them know that you are on your honeymoon, they’ll do something special for you!

Pablo

Wed 11:05 PST

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Lehi, Utah
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: honeymoon at catalonia riviera maya-will everything be close

I'm sure everything will be back to normal in July. I leave in 17 days! Once they resume flights for those over the pond, which should be by the end of the month, the resort should be back to almost normal capacity. Even if half the resort is closed it will not affect you as they are basically twins of each other and all the pools were still open. i would defintately NOT cancel.

5. Re: honeymoon at catalonia riviera maya-will everything be close

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2009, 07:30