We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CAT bound in August..Can you play at CRT, for the day?

Tulsa
8 posts
Save Topic
CAT bound in August..Can you play at CRT, for the day?

As usual I have been researching and reading 100's of reviews for our upcoming trip. We love the Playa del carmen area and this will be our 3rd trip with many more to come. In my research I was intrigued to read about CRT so decided to investigate and found out quickly that it's the old Copacabana! Our first trip to Mexico and the one that had us falling in love with the Playa area was to the Copa.

My question is can you make a day trip to the Copa and enjoy their beautiful beach if you're staying at the Catalonia Riviera Maya?

Thanks to all the forum, I get my daily addiction for Mexico just by reading the posts!

Atlanta, GA
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: CAT bound in August..Can you play at CRT, for the day?

My parents were staying at the CRT last week and I will be staying at the CAT next week. They took a tour of the CAT and said the wrist bands were the same and they were allowed to drink from the bars and eat with no problems.

You should have no problems traveling to the CRT(other than paying for a taxi ride) and enjoying yourself.

Tulsa
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: CAT bound in August..Can you play at CRT, for the day?

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. We loved the open air restaurant for having lunch at CRT, as well as the hot tubs that had incredible views of the ocean. It will be nice to see what changes have occurred at the CRT, it's been 7 years since we've been there.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
745 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CAT bound in August..Can you play at CRT, for the day?

We also enjoy going from CATRM to CAT Tulum and have taken a taxi ($8 each way) with no problem, but when friends of ours told the front desk they were going to do this they tried to get them to pay for a day pass. So just get the taxi and don't mention it to the front desk. Your arm band will get you access to everything they have, including towels.

Mission, BC, Canada
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Mission, Abbotsford
Level Contributor
5,185 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CAT bound in August..Can you play at CRT, for the day?

Officially NO, the CRM & CRT DO NOT have reciprocal arrangements for facilities.

That’s all I’ll say on the matter….

;-)

Pablo

Thur 15:29 PST

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CAT bound in August..Can you play at CRT, for the day?

Has anyone done a day trip to the Catalonia Maroma? Wondering if it would be worth the taxi ride from Xpuha? I have heard the beach is amazing.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,424 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CAT bound in August..Can you play at CRT, for the day?

I agree with Pablo(BC IT GUY). I don't understand why people think that just because the resorts have the same name they have exchange privledges. I hate to be this way but if you wanted to stay at the CRT pay the price. I don't think its fair that people that pay top dollar for the privledge of staying at the CRT that others that have not paid that premium price think they can just come on over. If the resort has a fee or a day pass I can live with that, but if you expect just to hope on the collectivo and walk through the front door and use the CRT's facility, that totally wrong in my opinion. Theres the rant for today. Let the barbs fly.

Cheers

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
745 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CAT bound in August..Can you play at CRT, for the day?

Many resort chains allow you to use facilities at their other properties to keep the customer happy. Maybe you will find that one of the companies sister resorts fits your needs better and you will choose to stay there next time. As long as you keep your tourist dollars going to their company instead of others I would think that they would be happy.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,424 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: CAT bound in August..Can you play at CRT, for the day?

lesadave

Difference is that the CRT is a Adults only resort and the CAT is family. Should the CRT allow guests with children from other sister resorts to visit. No I don't think so. Guests at the CRT paid to have no children around thats why they chose the CRT(Adults Only). Now having said that like I said before if you wish to pay a day fee for you, minus children, to visit the CRT I certainly have no problem with that. But to expect to just show up and be able to use the facilities for which you didn't pay for I totally against that.

Cheers

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
875 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: CAT bound in August..Can you play at CRT, for the day?

bergerman: I see your point, but from here, the CRT is just about the same, pricewise, as the CRM. So, "paying top dollar" isn't really true for the CRT. Secondly, as lesndave as stated, many chain resorts have shared amenities and allow their guests to go freely between resorts. The exception being that children, obviously, are not allowed to the adult-only resorts. I don't think anybody on this forum is suggesting bringing their children to the CRT. And, since all of the Catalonia resorts in that area are similarly priced, I don't really see an issue with sharing amenities among the different rsorts. Just my 2 cents...

LL

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,424 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: CAT bound in August..Can you play at CRT, for the day?

Not to be direspectful you are saying that because its cheaper for you to go to either of the resorts its OK even though I have to pay much more. The problem here is simple. Yes in MOST cases sister resorts have exchange privledges, but the CRT vs CRM vs Catalonia Marona DO NOT. Its a simple concept. If you want to go o the CRT go pay the price or check and see if they have a day pass. I don't nderstand why people (no one in particular) feel its their right to go into whichever resort they feel even though they are staying there. I've ranted enough on this subject so I'm done . Like Pablo says I'll not comment further.

Cheers