We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better excursion Tulum or Chichen Itza?

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Better excursion Tulum or Chichen Itza?

If you had to pick one over the other, which one? Also, any recommendations on best excurison to use to these ruins? We'll be staying at EDSS. Thanks.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,364 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better excursion Tulum or Chichen Itza?

Coba

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better excursion Tulum or Chichen Itza?

Yep, Coba. It's close, interesting, not an expensive all day affair. It's partially excavated and really neat. Tulum held no particular interest for me. It's mostly a walk-by ruins, where Coba is very hands on with a greater diversity in things to see and do. At this time there is climbable pyramid that will be undergoing restoration in the future. Hire an inexpensive guide and you'll really be glad you did. It makes a difference.

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better excursion Tulum or Chichen Itza?

Let's muddy the water. lol I think you would be missing out if you didn't go to Chichen Itza. If you take a tour that is likely all that you will do for that day. But when I drive my van, we stop to eat in Valladolid and check out Ek Balam which is north of Valladolid as well. Or you could stop and see the cenotes at Dzitnup. There is soooo much to do and neither Tulum nor Coba compare to the size and restoration of Chichen Itza. If you're not really all that interested, you can settle for one of the other two. Tulum has a lovely view with the ocean and I saw the paplanta fliers perform there as well. It's a sunny visit. Coba has lots of trees and is a nice walk in the jungle...just not that many buildings. Don't know when they are going to close that pyramid for climbing. I just read the headline in the newspaper and didn't wade through all of the Spanish for the complete story.

Hamilton
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Better excursion Tulum or Chichen Itza?

I went Chichen Itza in 2007 really liked it ! But I am hoping to get to Tulum in a couple of weeks. The view is amazing - friends went last November and the pictures and view of the wster and ruins are nice together.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,405 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Better excursion Tulum or Chichen Itza?

What's more important to you--a striking photogenic setting by the sea (with a nearby beach) or historical and archaeological importance?

Chichen Itza is a haul, but there's a reason why millions of people travel into the middle of nowhere to see it.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Better excursion Tulum or Chichen Itza?

I have been to both and by far there is way more to see at Chichen Itza. Worth the long ride to get there.

Michigan
Level Contributor
178 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Better excursion Tulum or Chichen Itza?

If you have never been to either I would say go for Chichen Itza. But only if you go on onre of those big bus tours (which I personally hated) which you can book at the hotel from a travel rep, hire a van and driver for the day or take a smaller group trip through Mitch of Yucatreks. PM me for info about him. But no matter how you do this its an all day trip (approx 12 hours). If you don't want to spend that sort of time then a trip to Tulum or to Coba is better. You can either go on your own (but hire a guide when you get there) or take one of the tours which are also offered by the travel reps at the hotel.

Just to throw another one out there - the ruins at Ek Balam are older than Chichen Itza but smaller. The only tour type that I know of that goes there is Yucatrek and that's on a limited basis. But its a long drive because its almost the same distance as Chichen Itza.

Paradise, Baby!
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Better excursion Tulum or Chichen Itza?

If you have all day, I would choose Chichen Itza. I've been to both and it was amazing. It's also hot, so if you can't take 3 hours of heat without any shade, choose Tulum. It's right by the ocean and there's a nice breeze to keep you cool.

9. Re: Better excursion Tulum or Chichen Itza?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Aventuras