We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with Teens in March-Barcelo Colonial

Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago,IL
Level Contributor
235 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling with Teens in March-Barcelo Colonial

Thinking of this resort. Bit scared off by recent comments.

Group of families traveling together.

Do you all recommend this property. Kids will

be under our watch but wanted it to be fun not

a bad scene. Nice group who want great beach

Thanks. We have stayed at other properties closer'

to Playa before. Wondered if Iberostar group- Lindo etc

may be better. Thanks for any suggestions. Locked into

March due to school schedule.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,604 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with Teens in March-Barcelo Colonial

The only thing we can say is that your concerns are justified. We have experienced the mayhem first-hand at this resort complex! Here is Barcelo's official statement regarding this topic:

Hotel Spring Break Policy:

While this hotel strongly discourages spring breakers, it cannot guarantee a spring-break-free environment.

Hope this helps!

Michigan
Level Contributor
178 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with Teens in March-Barcelo Colonial

I love the Barcelo - have been there 9 times and heading back for my 10th. But there is asolutely NO-WAY I would go - with or without my kids - during spring break. While the official word is that they discourage it, the truth is they don't do much to discourage it. Their policy used to be "No spring breakers allowed." Then the dollar spoke and they let them in. The next year there were even more and when the mayhem commences and others complain, management and security turn a blind eye. And with occupancy levels so low due to the economy and flu business, don't expect they will turn away the $$ this year. Last year these high school kids were staying at the Palace paying around $3000 a head and that was based on 3-4 to a room!

Too many other resorts in the area that do enforce their policies.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with Teens in March-Barcelo Colonial

After much research I decided on the Grand Palladium for our spring break vacation for the following reasons:

1. I was very interested in the Barcelo resorts but too many complaints about unruly spring breakers (not just noise, we're talking vomit in the pools and hallways!)

2. Took Iberostar off my list because while they try to control the 'spring breaker' issue, you are penalized if you have kids over 11 as they have a max of 2 adults per room policy and your teens will be considered adults. The cost of the two rooms was too much for us.

3. GP appears to have a firm 'no spring breaker' policy. I pored over reports on the resort over this time period and there was no mention of this issue. You can have a family of 5 (including teens) in one room. Overall GP food, rooms, and beach have high ratings. However, there is 'waterpark' at this resort.

colorado
Level Contributor
365 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling with Teens in March-Barcelo Colonial

I would definately check out the Grand Palladium. Took my teen there and he loved it. Haven't been there for spring break, so not sure about that.

colorado
Level Contributor
365 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling with Teens in March-Barcelo Colonial

P.S. The G.P. has a great beach and great pools

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling with Teens in March-Barcelo Colonial

Sorry - that should have read there is NO 'waterpark' at the GP resort in case that element is important to you. Also wanted to add that they have either recently added or revamped the teen club at GP.

7. Re: Traveling with Teens in March-Barcelo Colonial

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Aventuras