We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which resort to choose? Palladium, Bahia or Iberostar?

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
199 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Which resort to choose? Palladium, Bahia or Iberostar?

Any advise on the above properties would be much appreciated. We are a family of 2 parents and an almost 10 year old girl.

I am hoping to book one of the above but which one. We stayed at Dreams recently, but would like to try another property, since we are going for 2 weeks instead of one. I really liked Dreams because ala cartes were unlimited, and as many beach towels as needed. How do these towel cards work, does that mean you only get one each? I like having one to use on the lounge chairs plus one to use.

Thank you all in advance:)

KMK83
Level Contributor
605 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which resort to choose? Palladium, Bahia or Iberostar?

Pretty sure the towel card system is one towel per person. I get the general impression that the Dreams resorts are of a higher quality than the three you listed.

I've been to the Iberostar del Mar and enjoyed it. You can click on my name to read my review. With the Iberostars, keep in mind that the Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal is smaller and is in Playacar (long walk or $5-$10 US cab into PDC). The Iberostar Paraiso complex includes the Maya, Lindo, Beach, del Mar and adults only Grand. It is much closer to the airport and not near any "town" although I think they have a shuttle to PDC.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,714 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which resort to choose? Palladium, Bahia or Iberostar?

Since you enjoyed the Dreams brand of resorts previously, have you considered returning to another one of their properties? Dreams Tulum is outstanding, and would be our primary recommendation to you!

That aside, out of the three choices you are looking at now, the Palladium would be our next recommendation for a family such as yours. It has an excellent activity program for your daughter and gives you the unlimited ala carte dining you are looking for.

As far as towel cards, in general, at check-in, you typically receive one card per person, which you exchange at any of the towel huts for a fresh towel. You can also exchange your used towels daily. At the end of your stay, you get back your towel cards which you hand-in at check-out. If you do not return the same number of cards as originally given, your account is charged for the difference, typically $25.00 per towel. If you like extra towels, simply request them at check-in. Most resorts will gladly accomodate you. And the Palladium is no exception!

Hope this helps! Happy Travels!

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
199 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which resort to choose? Palladium, Bahia or Iberostar?

Thank you, so to get this straight, do I get the card back every day then or only on my last day? If I asked at the towel huts they will give me more towels?

Yes, I was thinking about Dreams Tulum but it is so far from the airport. Other than that I would like to try it, looks nice.

TravelPro 198 - You must travel alot to that area, do you have a favorite place you always return to or do you just try different resorts?

Thank you as well KMK83, location from a town is not really a concern for us so the Iberostar may be just fine. Thank you:)

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,714 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which resort to choose? Palladium, Bahia or Iberostar?

Yes, SUN, we do indeed travel alot - for both business as well as pleasure. And we most-definately have our favorites!

By-the-way, Tulum is alot closer than you think! The difference in beach topography is well-worth the extra few minutes of travel time alone!

To answer your additional towel questions, most resorts exchange your used towel for a fresh one daily. There are times, however, when the laundry is running behind, and you get a towel card instead for you to use the next day. Most towel hut staff follow the rules and will not give you any more towels than you have cards for. However, there are many times during the day when the staff take breaks and leave the towels piled ontop of the counter for you to simply help yourself.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
199 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which resort to choose? Palladium, Bahia or Iberostar?

Thanks TravelPro,

The towel card won't determine whether we try a resort or not, but it is nice to know.

Ala a cartes and rooms are far more of a concern for us.

Do you have a favorite resort though or would you rather not say..

thanks

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,714 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which resort to choose? Palladium, Bahia or Iberostar?

Sorry SUN, we'll need to private message you with our area favorites!

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
199 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which resort to choose? Palladium, Bahia or Iberostar?

OK, not sure how to do that but no worries. I appreciate all the info you put on the forum, very helpful.

Thanks

Wayzata
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which resort to choose? Palladium, Bahia or Iberostar?

We have been to the Palladium RM ten times, Jamaica once. We think there is something for everyone at these resorts. They do a great job with the kids - lots to offer ages 1-19. Ala cartes are unlimited. Buffets are varied and also offer fresh grilling stations, pasta and pizza stations.

Regarding towels you each get a towel card upon check in. You can exchange your card for a beach towel. You can also exchange your beach towel for a clean towel or a card. The resort is very eco conscientious so although it is possible to get two towels per day you could not get two towels simultaneously unless you stay in the Royal area (adults only).

CT
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which resort to choose? Palladium, Bahia or Iberostar?

We loved the IB Lindo and so did our son who was about your daughter's age at the time we visited. The property is gorgeous and there are a ton of different types of pools and the ala cartes are all wonderful. I loved starting my day with the stretching class right on the beach. My son loved the beach soccer, beach olympics and water polo.

This is how we played the towel game. At the end of the day, prior to going up to our room to get ready for supper, we would turn in our wet sandy towels for FRESH towels. Then in the morning you don't have to wait until the towel hut opens and you can use the towels and magazines to save a shade cabana on the beach. Yes, GASP we save chairs at the crack of dawn when my DH and DS get up prior to breakfast. But we use the chairs all day starting around 8:30am until around 6pm. We don't save the chairs and then come down around 10:30am to claim them.

I like that the IB Lindo is close to the airport (only 20 minutes) so you can start your vacation almost immediately. For the Palladium and the Bahia you are going to have to drive over an hour and a half and with kids already tired from sitting on a long flight, that isn't always fun.

The IB is truly beautiful with good food, good beach, and fun activities. But I'm sure you'll have fun if you pick the others too as they both have large followings. If you choose the Lindo, just PM me and I'll give you recommendations on requesting which building to stay in or answer other specific questions.

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which resort to choose? Palladium, Bahia or Iberostar?

We loved the palladium. The beach was very nice and the pools are still some of the most beautiful that I have experienced in the Riviera Maya.

If it is just an adult vacation, I would suggest the Royal Suites as there are all kinds of perks and great service!