We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours -- worth the extra $1000?

washington, dc
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tours -- worth the extra $1000?

Aventura spa offers the AI with all the tours and without. THe difference is $997. While my husband and I might consider ~4 tours during the week we are there, I can't imagine that would cost anywhere near a thousand bucks. Thougths? I've also heard you can do better on the price by booking them in town or elsewhere -- not thorugh the resort.

We just decided to go and only have 2 weeks before we leave and haven't thought out which tours we would go on but I'd appreciate any and all advice -- which are the best tours and the cheapest way to get them.

thanks in advance

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,789 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours -- worth the extra $1000?

What tours are they offering for the $1000???

washington, dc
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours -- worth the extra $1000?

Coba, Tulum, Ek-Balam/Valladolid, Chichen-itza Light and Sound, Isa Mujeres

I'm sure we'd love them -- but will we actually do 5 in the 6 full days we'll be there and would it actually cost that much??

washington, dc
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours -- worth the extra $1000?

me again--

i totaled up the cost of all the tours and if we did all 5 it's just under $800 (i'm sure there is tax and fees though) still....

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,105 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours -- worth the extra $1000?

Are you really going to do all 5? You'd be doing nothing but tours. Which is great if you love tours. If you take that many tours, why stay in an AI? You'll be away from the resort so much.

washington, dc
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours -- worth the extra $1000?

I agree! but I just am trying to figure out the logic of their charging such a huge difference in price-- usually a package is better deal than individually.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,789 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours -- worth the extra $1000?

That's alot of money for just those tours for the two of you! And, in our humble opinion, alot of the same sort of stuff to see. Unless you are very much into Mayan Archaeology, or simply must be active on your vacation rather than just relaxing and enjoying the amenities at your posh resort for the few days that you will be there, our best recommendation would be to pick just one of the ruins and then Isla Mujeres.

Happy Travels!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tours -- worth the extra $1000?

Too much money....no time to relax. if you are going 5-6 days I wouldnt do more than 2 tours...me personally, I'd do 1...or none.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
968 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tours -- worth the extra $1000?

I think 4 tours in 1 week is a lot.

For example, the tour for Chichen-Itza is a full day and can be quite tiring - when we did it, we were gone for 15 hours. I also, wouldn't bother staying for the evening Light show - it's definitely not worth it as there's no dancing, just lights that travel from pyramid to pyramid with the history being intoned on speakers in Spanish so you will also need to rent translators earphones.

washington, dc
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tours -- worth the extra $1000?

thanks for all the good advice. I just paid - and not for the tour part.

Any other thoughts on good tours are appreciated. Specifically, I read somewhere that you should purchase the tours offsite and they are half price. ??

Wayzata
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tours -- worth the extra $1000?

I agree with the others. There is a lot to do and much of it you can do on your own without an organized, expensive tour.

There is a very good public transportation system that runs up and down the main highway. Colectivos will pick you up outside of your resort and drop you off at many of the attractions that are close to the highway. I would suggest taking a colectivo or taxi to nearby Akumal for a half day of snorkeling. Superb snorkeling and you may see turtles, lots of fish, etc. You can have lunch at one of the beach side restaurants. There are some quaint shops. If you like to shop I would take a colectivo into Playa del Carmen. Lots of shops there and some fun places for an evening cocktail.

Take a colectivo to Tulum ruins. You can hire a guide there is you wish. If you prefer to see other ruins then I would hire a taxi and go to Coba or Ek Balaam for the day.

There is lots of info out there. I would also sggest getting one of laura's maps from cancunmap dot com. Excellent info and descriptions.