We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun Departure Tax

Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sherborne, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun Departure Tax

Hi

I was wondering if anybody could tell me how much it is and if I can pay it in Pesos?

Many thanks

Sarah

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun Departure Tax

It is around 660 pesos and can be paid in pesos, dollars or even pounds (so I'm told). Must be cash though.

UK
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun Departure Tax

I am wondering why nobody can give a straight answer to this question? Ask a hundred different people, and you'll get a hundred different answers. Some web sites say it's $23 each, some $50, some more. They are always "around" or "about" figures, never an exact amount.

Why does the amount vary so much, and why can nobody ever give an exact figure? Does it depend on the time stayed, the destination, exchange rate, time of year, weather outside??

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun Departure Tax

I think it varies because part of the charge is fixed in dollars and part in pesos. The charge fixed in dollars is the "tourist tax" which every one pays even if arriving by land or sea. The part fixed in pesos comprise the airport fees, security taxes etc. (In addition the airport fees actually vary by airport!) So whether you pay in dollars or pesos there is always one component that requires a currency exchange and so that varies daily.

Of course this is only my theory - nobody can give you a straight answer (not even the Mexican consulate!).

UK
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun Departure Tax

That does make a lot of sense Steve!

But the variation does seem too large to be explained just by exchange rates. I have seen it quoted from $18 to $60 and all different figures in between.

One of life's mysteries I guess!!

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,590 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun Departure Tax

Hi, This will be my first time and i thought it was very high, booked with TC and on the documentation it $56US which at todays rates is around £39,so I take it this could change!

In the Dom Rep and Cuba it is fixed constant and is at least half of Mexico.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
466 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun Departure Tax

Hi sarah, when we left on Saturday it was 660 pesos or $55US or £38 - each. There's a little desk where you pay at the front of the queue for checking in & they do give change.

Cheers

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun Departure Tax

Cheese: the 20 USD figure is the "tourist tax" part. One of the U.S. charter airliens have started charging that separately. The total figure is around 56 USD as reuben has said.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancun Departure Tax

Is this not included in the price of airfare??

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancun Departure Tax

It's included for all airlines except JetBlue and UK charters.

Sherborne, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancun Departure Tax

Thank you everyone, now all I've got to remember to do is keep some money back. Love this forum its so helpful x