We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palladium vs. Barcelo vs. Grand XCaret...

Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
456 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Palladium vs. Barcelo vs. Grand XCaret...

or suggestion a resort.

I need help choosing a location for what may be our last family vacation since my kids are getting grown. I want this to be the best vacation ever. My husband, son 20, daughter 16, and I are headed to Mexico in July. We have been to the Palladium and love it. But I want to try something different if possible. Also give me any ideas where we can book it cheapest from Dallas.

We love to play beach volleyball, snorkel, and eat. Good food is a must.

Please give me any suggestions on resorts that stand out. The above are a few I have thought about.

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Palladium vs. Barcelo vs. Grand XCaret...

Hi there out of those Three the Palladium for me would be first.I have also been to the Barcelo and loved it too.As for the x caret I have not gone to that resort due to they have a man made beach and if you have been to the Palladium you would not like this resort.The beaches at the Palladium and the Barcelo are the best.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
944 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palladium vs. Barcelo vs. Grand XCaret...

I have gone to the Barcelo and to the Grand Palladium and love them both, but think I like the Grand Palladium a little better, because I like their beach better, but both resort beaches are good. Like the poster above I have not gone to the Grand Xcaret, but from what I understand it is not in the same league as the other two resorts and the beach isn't as nice either.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palladium vs. Barcelo vs. Grand XCaret...

There is almost no beach at the Grand XCaret - an artificial cove...My vote is for Palladium due to their free spa use - and the spa is awesome, believe me...Just take your towel card to get the towels at the spa.

Texas
Level Contributor
456 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palladium vs. Barcelo vs. Grand XCaret...

Thanks for the replies so far, it sounds like everyone likes the Palladium the best. We have been there and love it!

Would we be disappointed with Barcelo? What are the big differences? Any other resort that was especially nice besides the ones I asked about?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palladium vs. Barcelo vs. Grand XCaret...

My first choice would be the Barcelo. I have been there 3 times and I have experieced the Palladium. I prefer the beach at the Barcelo for the snorkeling. I did not like the wooden bridges (slippery when wet) or the deep pool (hard to walk and carry a drink) at the Palladium. You will not be disappointed with the Barcelo.

london,Canada
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palladium vs. Barcelo vs. Grand XCaret...

We were recently at the Barcelos and really liked it and last year we were at the Palladiums in Punta Cana and loved it there. Would like to try the Palladiums in the Riviera Maya if the food is as good as what we experienced in the Dr. Why not try the Palladiums in Punta Cana for a change? The beach there is longer ( you can walk for miles and miles) and just as nice if not nicer than in Mexico. I love going to Mexico for the historical day excursions available which there is only a few in the DR but if you don't care about that it might be worth checking out. Our experience with the food at the Barcelo was great for breakfast and lunch but not that fantastic for supper. The food and no reserving for supper meals at the Palladium beats the food and the poor a la carte system at the Barcelos. I've also looked at the Grand Xcaret but it has a very small man made beach and I like a nice long beach to walk on so I doubt we would ever go to it.

Level Contributor
479 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Palladium vs. Barcelo vs. Grand XCaret...

I had the Barcelo on my list last year...looked at it closely and so many really love this resort. What ended up being the deal breaker for me was the beach and the lack of shade there and everyone said the best beach was at the Palladium...I have fair skin so shade is very important to me. We had also looked at the Xcaret but as others have said if the beach is important to you this one will be a huge disappointment.

We looked at the Bahai also but in the end we just loved the no reservation options that the Grand Palladium offered and so many people shared postive info about it that we went and we were very pleased and really hope to return.

As you shared you have been so the other great thing for you is that you won't experience that " lost" feeling the first few days and with it being such a huge resort there will still be things you have not done and there is so much for all ages I am sure it will be a great choice for your family.

The Barcelo has a huge fan following so I would think that you would enjoy your stay there also although I think most people have said that the Palace section is the best and that some of the sections are more 4star....so much to consider!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
445 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Palladium vs. Barcelo vs. Grand XCaret...

When are you going in July?? We are going July 6-15th to the Palladium with 4 girls 20,20,18 &18! We have been to the barcelo and didn't like that we could only go to an ala carte 2x in the week... Also, the buffet had no AC,...It was SO hot & we were eaten alive by mosquitos.. The place is beautiful but for us, that was a deal-breaker.

Texas
Level Contributor
456 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Palladium vs. Barcelo vs. Grand XCaret...

Thanks for everyone's input, it sounds like the Barcelo or Palladium.

Sunnybunnyisme-I haven't selected the date yet, I am searching for the best deal. The timeframe is July 2-14 or July 18-31 for 7 days. If we end up going to the Palladium duing the time you are there I will PM you to let you know.

Again, thanks for the inuput!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Palladium vs. Barcelo vs. Grand XCaret...

just my two cents worth...i was headed to Barcelo Maya Palace but due to the bad reviews recently and continuous comments about lukewarm buffet food and hardly being able to book a la cartes, and poor management I switched over to the Royal Suites Yucatan and feel very definitely we will be very happy with our choice.