We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CAT first timers!!!

Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wales
8 posts
Save Topic
CAT first timers!!!

We're a family of 2 adults and two children visiting the CAT for two weeks in June! We've spent a good bit of time going through the reviews the majority of which are very good, but there's a few negative pints now and again??? Oh, and how far is Aukalan (?spelling) beach from the CAT and is it easy to find??

Any handy hints would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
745 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CAT first timers!!!

Welcome first timers! You are in for a treat. The Cat is an awesome resort that bends over backwards to provide you with everything you could need for a fantastic vacation. Don't worry about the bad reviews. If you go with a good attitude you will have a blast. Some people are bound and determined to have a crummy time and then feel it was the resorts fault. We are heading back for our fourth time next month.

I assume you are asking about Akumal, to snorkel and swim with the turtles. It is about 15 minutes from the resort. It costs about $12US by taxi. Some will suggest you take a collectivo, but to me, it is worth it to take a taxi. They will know right where to take you and there are always taxis there to bring you back. Have fun!

wales
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: CAT first timers!!!

Thank you, we're sooooo looking forward and so are our two girls - just hope that the June weather is kind!

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
217 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: CAT first timers!!!

Hi, I am sister of the above post by Lesndave. I will soon be going for my 2nd time and not even interested in ever going elsewhere, it is so awesome there. Such a mixture of things to do and fun to be had. I hope you enjoy your trip there and I am sure the weather will be nice and hot. My biggest hint would be to take plenty of small bills and tip along the way and also to bring a Bubba Keg, this is a DOUBLE insulated cup to put your drinks in, otherwise the drinks come in small plastic cups that dont hold drink for long in the heat.

Ask away if you have any particular ?'s, we would be glad to help.

wales
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: CAT first timers!!!

thank you, it's lovely to hear that so many people return year after year due to the nice times they've had, the quality of the service and the resort in general, we're so glad we chose this resort now!!

I'm sure we'll have more questions as the next couple of weeks go by, thanks again:-)

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
660 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CAT first timers!!!

WOW are you going to have a good time,were going there on our fourth straight year and can t wait, we keep going back because of all the things to do down there ,that gated in village is very safe and try and be patient,most do not speak english but they do there best to help you,we found out the more you treat them with respect the better you are to get things done and enjoy your vacation, so relax and go down there with a good additude that everything is going to be fine and have fun,we learn more every year we go down there though these post and the people we meet ,have a great trip..cosmo..juan valdez

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CAT first timers!!!

I am excited for you..

True story...I booked a trip to this resort about 8 years ago...went with 7 other girlfriends for an all girls trip..had never been to this part of Mexico before, therefore, didn't know what to expect, etc. (I had also not learned about tripadvisor at that time either...) anyway, we went, we had a FABULOUS time. The next year, after bragging and boasting about what fun we had in Mexico, booked anther trip, but this time with my husband and my sister and her husband. We went to a different resort, El Dorado Royale, and had a great time. Ok...year after year, since that first time to the Cat, we have returned to Mexico, always staying someplace different so we could try out new places...well, each year, I always told my husband that at some point I wanted to return to the Cat. There was just something about it that I really really liked. So, last year we went back there. He fell in love with it, as did I, all over again. We are booked to return again this July. I think we have found our vacation home at the Cat.

I will tell you..it is not the fanciest place I have stayed, but, it really is nice. The service is terrific. In my opinion, of the 7 or 8 different AI's that we have stayed at, they really are all very similar. There are negatives about even the most 5* resorts you can find. However, the Cat has beautiful rooms, gorgeous water, great food, wonderful staff, nice pools, and great entertainment. We go to relax, unwind, and reconnect. The Cat has something special that the others didn't have...can't really put my finger on it, or find the words for it, but it just is. Maybe it's the gated community that I feel so safe in, or the marina just steps away, or ....I don't know.

When you go, you will see what we are talking about.

You will have fun! I guarantee it.

wales
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: CAT first timers!!!

Thank you Mrs Texas, every reply we get makes us feel better and better. We were due to stay at the EDSS from the 16th of April (a couples holiday to celebrate a friend'40th birthday) but due to the volcanic ash nighmare our holiday was canceled, but even so having looked at the reviews we knew that we just had to re-book and be in somewhere in the riviera maya area and due to us bringing our children this time the EDSS wasn't an option.

But having read what we've read so far we're confident that we're going to love love the whole experience and the weather that they had from the 16th of April was'nt the best so it's a win win for us!!!!!!!!!

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: CAT first timers!!!

Hi all same for me mrs texas our very frist trip ever was to the cat 8 years ago also it was called the camilion something like that.But since then we have been to 5 others in the area as she said its not the top notch but is very nice.Take water shoes as the beach is rocky.Have a great time and take good sunscreen!!!Also try Xel-ha snorkling ruins trip its great.

Choctaw, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: CAT first timers!!!

Good morning. You have made a wonderful choice. My wife, Lesndave, was correct on all points except this is going to be our 5th time there and it keeps getting better. Don't dwell on the weather and the forecasts. You will have fun no matter what. A good attitude goes a long way. Have fun and please post a review when you get back.

BigDave

10. Re: CAT first timers!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Aventuras