We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo tropical

Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Redding, California
Level Contributor
224 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelo tropical

I have been very impressed with reviews for this resort and we are very excited to go in june. Lately I've read some worrisom reviews. Has anyone had problems not getting into the restaurants? or having to pay extra money to upgrade?

valliant,oklahoma
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelo tropical

499silver we will also be going to the barcelo june 3rd,, this is our second trip. you will enjoy every minute of your trip, this is a wonderful resort. you have to take some of these reviews with tongue in cheek..some people you can't please..you have to choose your ala cartes when you arrive ,, you may not get the exact times you prefer depends on how full the resort is at the time you arrive...my experience is on the colonial/tropical side. here is a great website for the barcelo , it will tell you everything you need or want to know about the resort . www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com and don't worry, you'll love it !!!

Redding, California
Level Contributor
224 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelo tropical

thank you that makes us feel so much better!

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelo tropical

No matter how hard we tried we could not get into the Japanese mind you we were at 8 in our group. We even tried to split into 2 groups of 4. No trouble getting into the others at the Tropical/Colonial. We reserved first thing in the morning on our 1st day as well. We would check on the Japanese daily as we walked by the desk with no luck. Never tried the tipping option to try to get in though. We were quite happy with our room so upgrade was not needed.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelo tropical

If it makes you feel any better, we usually go in the slow season and have been Club Premium the last 2 times and we still have difficulty getting into the Japanese restaurant on our schedule. It isn't that large of a restaurant and I think it takes longer to turn tables due to the "show" they put on.

If you can't get into the Japanese, don't worry, I think the Italian-Capri is better anyways! :-)

Good luck!

Redding, California
Level Contributor
224 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelo tropical

The Japanese is the one we wanted I guess we will just wait and see what happens, if we don't get in like bcgirl2005 the Italian might be better anyway. What is the club premium?

Arlington Heights...
Level Contributor
360 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelo tropical

It is too bad because the Japanese is always the best restaurant and everyone wants to go there. Unfortunately, it is only so big and can not handle everyone at the resort. That's why there are several restaurants, but that does not help those that get turned away from the Japanese. It is a bummer.

They should expand the Japanese restaurant to accomodate more people. I would think that would solve most of their complaints.

We went in June and got in OK and are hoping in 2 weeks when we go again, we can get in.

Keep going to the desk every day to check because they get cancellations when some people schedule an excursion and will no longer be able to make it.

Edited: 01 June 2010, 15:48
Georgetown, Canada
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelo tropical

We went in April and stayed at the Beach resort, which we just LOVED!! When we sat down with the concierge, she was wonderful, and we were able to book the steakhouse and Mexican a la carte restaurants. As our third choice we decided to try the French a la carte at the Palace resort, which was an extra $20 p/p. The food was amazing and well worth the money!! It is another option............

Hope you have a great trip! ;-)

Edited: 01 June 2010, 16:12
minneapolis minn
Level Contributor
654 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barcelo tropical

just opinion,,,seems to me if the japanese restaurant at colonial is always booked ,barcelo should reopen the restaurant they have on beach next to gift shop(if they havent tore it down) for a second japanese show restaurant..this one would be nicer anyway with great view of the sea.

9. Re: Barcelo tropical

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2010, 05:17